Search This Blog

Monday, January 9, 2012

Baked Ziti

Here's another dish that is so simple to make - you truly can never use the excuse of "I just didn't have time to make dinner" again.  Oh sure, you can jazz it all up by adding all sorts of extra veggies and different cheeses - but honestly, I sort of think it's perfect just as it is.  Serve it with a nice side salad and some warm crusty bread... and yea, I could eat it for dinner every night!

Baked Ziti
Created by Jenn's Food Journey
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 sweet onion, finely chopped
3/4 lbs ground beef
1 large garlic clove, finely minced
2 1/2 - 3 cups pasta sauce (homemade or store bought)
10oz dried ziti
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a skillet, over medium low heat, add the oil and the onion.  Cook until the onion is just becoming tender, about 3-5 minutes.  Add the beef, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, and cook until the meat is no longer pink.  Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.  Add the sauce and mix to combine everything.  Cook until the sauce is heated through.  Remove from heat.

Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions.  Drain.  Mix the pasta and the sauce together and pour into a prepared baking dish.  Top with cheese and cover with aluminum foil.  Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.  Carefully remove the foil and continue baking another 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.  Remove and allow to cool just a tiny bit before digging in.  Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Baked Cajun Tilapia
Two Years Ago:  Garlic-Mustard Glazed Pork Chops

13 comments:

Big Dude said...

It's hard to beat easy and good.

Debbie said...

Go check out my blog Jenn....you will crack up!

Mary said...

I love this kind of pasta. Simple, easy and guaranteed that my kids will devour it!

P.S. There is no pasta in your ingredient list. ;)

Unknown said...

Thanks for catching that Mary! I have fixed the recipe now :)

Cranberry Morning said...

Drag, click, copy, Notepad, paste, File, Save as, Documents, Recipes, Pasta Dishes, Ziti baked Jenn.
Need I say more? lol

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Ya know I never think to A. bake pastas and B. use ziti. Looks great and would be totally different than our usual spaghetti. thanks Jenn!

Mary Bergfeld said...

This looks wonderful. My grandson's love casseroles like these and for good reason - they are delicious. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Yenta Mary said...

On a cold winter evening, that is just about a perfect dinner ... :)

Pam said...

Simple comfort food - my kind of dish!

Bo said...

oh yeah...I could eat that every night too!

Candace said...

Would you believe that there is no such thing as a "sweet onion" in New England? Oh how I've tried to find one. Even the Vidalias and the ones labeled "sweet" are deceiving. Go figure. Kind of like that pretty yellow pepper. This ziti is not deceiving though. I know it tastes as good as it looks. Yummy!

Unknown said...

Looks fantastic Jenn! Just my kind of meal. I also think I need a wine to go with it :)
Sorry I haven't been here for a while. Been a busy few days.

Chris said...

Baked pasta dishes are lame! Oh wait. I did? Just this week?

Baked pasta dishes ROCK!