Search This Blog

Monday, March 21, 2011

Pulled Pork BBQ Pizza

Here's a fantastic way to use up some leftover pulled pork.  It's different from the regular pulled pork sandwich or taco idea.  We really enjoyed this pizza.  Even though the bbq sauce was maybe a bit too sweet for the pizza, it was still a killer pizza!

Of course, no matter how often I make pizza dough (ok, it's not like I make it every day or something), I still can't seem to perfect it.  I seem to have a problem when it comes to stretching the dough.  Mine tends to either stretch too much and break here and there, or I can't get it to stretch out enough.  I'm sure there is something I am doing in the process that is causing that, but I just don't know what it is.  If you have an insight as to why, I would greatly appreciate the advice.

Despite struggling with the dough, this pizza turned out incredibly good.  Then again, you can't really go wrong with pizza on the grill.  There is just something about it that makes me go... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!

Pulled Pork BBQ Pizza
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1 pizza dough ball
olive oil
salt and pepper
1 cup BBQ sauce (I would suggest going with something tangy and bold, the sweeter bbq sauces are just a bit too sweet for this pizza...at least that is my thought)
1-2 cups pulled pork (I think I just just a little over a cup, but didn't measure it)
1/2 sweet onion, diced and caramelized (you can slice them thin intead)
4 slices of bacon, diced and cooked until crispy
1 orange pepper, chopped or sliced thin (now I left mine raw and put them on the pizza, you can saute them or roast them first if you want)
1-2 cups shredded Monterey jack cheese

Directions:
Preheat the grill to medium high.  Stretch your dough and brush both sides with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.  Now you can put the dough directly on the grill, but I haven't had the nerve to do that yet (always afraid the dough will sink into the grates) so I just put it on a piece of aluminum foil that has been sprayed with non-stick spray and put that directly on the grill.  Grill one side for about 3-4 minutes or until it's brown and crisp on the bottom.  Remove from grill and flip the crust over.  Now it's time to build the pizza.  Spread the sauce over the entire thing, leaving at least a 1/2 inch of the dough around the edges uncovered.  Top with pulled pork, then the caramelized onions, then the pepper, and finally top it with the cheese.  Put the pizza back on the grill and cover.  Grill until the cheese has melted and the crust is golden brown.  Remove from grill, slice, and devour!

 

One Year Ago:  Chicken Tortilla Pizza

11 comments:

Big Dude said...

It looks killer Jenn. A little BBQ sauce goes a long way for me so I have to be careful when I make this.

StephenC said...

I can't offer any pizza dough advice. I'll refer this posting to Peter. He hasn't made a pizza since we came east. It's time.

Katrina (Betty Ray) said...

Ahhh, I have a huge bowl of bbq pulled pork in the fridge. Pefect post for me to see today! Looks delicious too.

As for the dough, I find that if you are stretching and it keeps shrinking, let it rest for 10-20 minutes and come back to it so you don't rip it. Has worked for me about 7 out of 10 times. :)

Unknown said...

Betty Ray - Thanks for that tip. I never did let the dough rest once I started pulling on it. Will definitely give that a try next time. My dough rips in at least one spot each time!

Unknown said...

Well it sure looks delicious! I have problems w/dough too. My husband drives me crazy b/c he seems to get it perfecr every time! Perfect pizza circles! Mine are always kidney bean shaped!

Great idea for leftover pork! Thanks

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

The pizza looks really good! I love bbq pizzas :-) So tasty! I agree with Betty Ray, let the dough rest if it starts to snap back and/or tear. The glutens tend to get all uptight & hard to work with the more the dough is worked with so a nice resting period helps a LOT. I need to make some pizza soon, I think I'll try a new dough recipe. I"ll let you know how it goes :)

We Are Not Martha said...

Ooh! I have so many dishes I want to make with leftover pulled pork... Now I just really need to make pulled pork! This pizza looks fab!

Sues

egbkid said...

That looks fantastic!!

Mary Bergfeld said...

This looks great. The only advice I can offer is that when the dough starts to fight you, let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes before continuing. It might work. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Unknown said...

Reading this is like a torture...
I love pulled pork and you are so lucky to have leftover. The last time I cooked pulled pork, my monster friends had no mercy and ate it all.
The pizza looks awesome. yum yum yum.

Cranberry Morning said...

That looks fantastic. It's late afternoon and I'd really go for a piece of that right now!