Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Chipotle Guacamole Rice

I made this rice to go along side my Queso Blanco Chicken Enchiladas the other night, but I inadvertently deleted those pictures...so alas, I had to make this tasty little treat again!!!  I was originally just going to make chipotle rice... but then it hit me... I still had some of those 100 calorie guacamole packs that I received from the Wholly Guacamole company... why not add it to the rice?  Can't hurt, right?  Absolutely, right!  The guacamole added just the right amount of flavor to the spicy chipotle rice.  It gave it a bit of a moisture too, which helped keep it from drying out as it sat on the plate (not that my rice dries out, but I think you know what I mean).  It was the perfect way to jazz up some rice and use up some of what was sitting in our fridge.

Chipotle Guacamole Rice
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1 cup Basmati rice
2 cups chicken broth
1 garlic clove, minced
2 small bell peppers (I used 1 red, 1 green), chopped
1 canned chipotle chili in adobo sauce, minced
1 Tablespoon adobo sauce
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 - 100 calorie Wholly Guacamole (57grams or 2 Tablespoons)

Directions:
In a saucepan, bring the chicken broth to a boil.  Add the garlic and the rice.  Cover and lower heat.  Allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until all the moisture has been absorbed.  Remove from heat and add the peppers.  Cover and allow to rest for 5-8 minutes.  Fluff with a fork.  Stir in the chipotle, adobo sauce, oregano, and guacamole.  Serve warm.  Enjoy!


One Year Ago:  Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

13 comments:

StephenC said...

A really interesting idea! Is the wholly guacamole stuff actual guac?

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

What a great idea! I bet that rice was G-O-O-D! I love the pieces of bell peppers in there too Jenn. YUMMY!

Cranberry Morning said...

Sounds delicious! I can't imagine that one could possibly go wrong with the addition of guacamole!

Unknown said...

perfect, quick, delicious side dish!

Yenta Mary said...

Ya know, I now just click on your page saying to myself, "What is she going to tempt me with today???" And you've done it again -- a perfect side dish, with maximum flavor as always!

Angie's Recipes said...

A brilliant idea! I would love to try some now.

Roxan said...

Mmm, the guac and rice combo is ingenious! I totally need to try that. Maybe next week for st patricks day ;] I've been thinking about what to make to celebrate that.

Pam said...

Accidentally deleting pictures is the worst. This rice has awesome flavors and textures. YUM!

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

Mmmmmm... Perfect comfort food! Lovely one Jenn!

Mary Bergfeld said...

This really sounds delicious. I love the texture of your rice. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Katrina (Betty Ray) said...

Oh, this sounds interesting. I never heard of that 100 calorie pack but will keep my eyes open for it.

Debbie said...

That looks very, very good!!! Just perfect as a side dish. Pretty too!

Chris said...

Colorful AND creative, I like it! Rice is such a flexible side dish which is why it is one of my go to dishes.