Search This Blog

Monday, March 14, 2011

Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip Cookies

We have an internship program at the advertising agency I work for.  I like the program and hate the program all at the same time.  It's good because we get young "kids" just getting ready to graduate from college, who have lots of energy and enthusiasm.  It's bad because if you get really good ones, you are just starting to get to know them well and enjoy working with them, when it's time for them to move on.

Why am I telling you this?  Well, you see, we had an intern, Casey, who joined our team last year in our social media department.  She was fantastic to work with from the beginning.  Always willing to help out.  Always friendly and easy going.  Always there with a smile on her face.  Hell, she even knew how to play the intern game.  She made sure to make herself known to us.  Not only us (as in other employees) but she always was also wise enough to make an impression on the owners.  She is smart, let me tell you.  After her internship ended, they brought her on part time.  Unfortunately, our SM department doesn't have enough work to keep her busy, so they had to let her go.  Knowing that last week was her last week there, I decided to make cookies for her.  Not that cookies even come close to thanking her for all she had done for me, but it's the one way I know how to truly put my heart into something and say thank you.

 
So, you probably think this story is going to end in a sad goodbye, right?  That's what I thought too, when I walked into work on Friday.  But alas, this story has a happy ending:  Casey was offered a job in another department Friday morning!!!  (WHEW!!  Nothing like waiting until the last minute to ask her, huh?)  She still is only part time, but my hope is that after she proves to them that she can take on any job, they'll find a way to keep her on permanently!!  My goodbye cookies became congratulations cookies.  And what better way to say congratulations then with cream cheese and chocolate chips all wrapped up in a cookie??

Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip Cookies
Slightly adapted from Modern Mom
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
8oz package of cream cheese, softened
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
12oz bag of milk or semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt.  Whisk to combine; set aside.

In a bowl of a standing mixer with a paddle attachment.  Add the cream cheese and the butter.  Beat on medium speed until creamy and light, about 2 minutes.  Add the sugar and mix well.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the egg and vanilla.  Beat on medium speed for 1 minute.  Slowly, add the flour mixture a little at a time, until well combined.  Remove bowl from mixer and fold in chocolate chips.  (I refrigerated mine for 30 minutes, but you can skip that if you want.  I think it helps keep the cookies from spreading while baking.)

Roll dough into walnut size balls, place on baking sheets, and flatten just a little bit with your thumb. (to make much thinner cookies, just drop dough by the tablespoon directly onto the baking sheet)  Place in oven and bake for 12 minutes, or until the edges are golden.  Let rest on cookie sheet for 5 minutes then move to a wire rack to cool completely.  Your cookies should be light and cakey.  Enjoy!


One Year Ago:  Baked Parmesan Tilapia

17 comments:

Unknown said...

awww... I really like how the story turned out for Casey. I hope the company get to keep her.
What wonderful cookies to celebrate this occassion. I really like the cream cheese here. Yum.

Big Dude said...

I love chocolate chip cdookies, especially the chewy kind as these appear to be. Smart management usually finds a way to keep top notch employees - these days it's nice to hear a story with a happy ending.

Unknown said...

Oh yeah! Good for her! Love how these cookies will now always have meaning to you too! Thanks for sharing!

Cranberry Morning said...

Oh. I thought maybe this meant you got to keep the cookies after all. ;-) What a nice gift, and what a great combination: chocolate and cream cheese!

StephenC said...

I almost didn't read this post, not being a baker. But I'm all choked up over that intern being rewarded for her sincerity and hard work. So there!

Pam said...

Look at how big and tasty those babies are. I'll take a couple please.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Congrats to the new hire! That's great!! How is it that I've never thought to put cream cheese in choco chip cookies?? Good gravy that sounds like a brilliant idea!! I'll trade you some death by chocolate for some of these :) Yum Jenn!

Yenta Mary said...

Fabulous cookies invested with love ... is there anything better??? :)

Annette said...

Jenn...your blog brought tears to my eyes! That awesome intern is my daughter...and to her mother she has always been pretty darn amazing! I'm so happy she has had your friendship and support through her time at OMA, it has meant so much to her...."thank you"! I can't wait to try your celebration cookies.

Unknown said...

Annette - Thank you so much for commenting! Honestly, your daughter is a fantastic friend and fellow employee...we are lucky to have her!

Casey said...

Thank you, again, so much!! The cookies were fantastic (of course!) and your sweet words mean so much to me! Thank you for making work so much more special than just a day at "work." I'm so happy to have this recipe now. Sean will appreciate it too- that's for sure!

Thanks for all the warm wishes from your followers, as well! (you too, Mom!) haha :)

threesidesofcrazy said...

Awesome, I needed a "fresh" chocolate chip cookie recipe.

Chris said...

Congrats Casey and I hope your gumption keeps getting you further and further ahead.

I think I'm taking my grill to work Monday and grilling lunch for my folks. At least some of them.

Anonymous said...

how many cookies does 1 recipe make?!

Unknown said...

How many cookies does 1 recipe make? Depends on how large or small you make the cookies. I ended up with about 3 1/2 dozen cookies. Hope that helps.

Shay said...

I have been making these cookies for a few months. They are incredible! The perfect chocolate chip cookie!!

Unknown said...

Shay...I'm so glad to hear you are enjoying these cookies so much :) They definitely are addictive!!