Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Herb-Mustard Marinated Chicken

Ever since I posted that recipe for Mustard Roasted Potatoes, I have been craving all things mustard!  I know it might sound strange, but it's true.  I really do love the flavor that Dijon brings to dishes.  So, when I saw this marinade, I knew I had to try it.

I like this recipe because it used ingredients I had on hand.  Actually, it used ingredients I have stocked in my kitchen all the time.  That's just convenient and wonderful!  It uses dry herbs, which some people might turn their nose up to because fresh is better.  But unless you have your own little herb garden, buying all these herbs fresh would put a huge dent in your...or at least my...wallet.  Simple, convenient, delicious.


Herb-Mustard Marinated Chicken
Adapted from Better Homes & Gardens Grillin' & Chillin' Cookbook
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1/2 cup Dijon mustard
2 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 Tablespoon dry red wine
1 garlic clove, finely minced
1/2 teaspoon dried crushed rosemary
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 black pepper
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Directions:
In a small bowl, mix together all the ingredients except for the chicken.  Rinse the chicken and pat dry.  Reserve 3 tablespoons of the sauce for dipping.  Spread the remaining sauce over both sides of all the chicken.  Allow to marinate in the refrigerator for 4-8 hours.

Preheat grill to 400 degrees.  Oil the grill grates.  Place the chicken directly over the heat and grill 8-10 minutes per side or until the chicken is cooked through.  Carefully remove from grill.  Serve with reserved sauce on the side.  Enjoy! 


One Year Ago:  Lemon Pasta with Chicken

13 comments:

StephenC said...

Woo-hoo, I get to be the first comment! Screw those snobs who insist we have to buy expensive fresh herbs all the time. I think for my birthday next month I'll bathe in dried herbs and cheap olive oil. So there, Ina!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Dried herbs are a staple here too. Sure fresh is better but I can only grow those 6 mo out of the year!! I know my dijon loving sister would totally love this one, I'll have to make it for her, maybe on her birthday next week!

Katrina (Betty Ray) said...

Mustard really does add a great flavor to dishes. I will have to try this with the herbs for sure. We love dry herbs as every single time I buy fresh so many end up in the trash. So wasteful. Hoping to have a little counter herb garden this year though. We'll see how that one goes. :)

Desi said...

mmmm I am loving the idea of your mustard potatoes AND this mustard chicken! It looks so flavorful and juicy... and I love some sauce on the side :)

Cranberry Morning said...

I'm with you, Jenn - I love Dijon mustard. This sounds wonderful. Maybe dinner on Friday! :-)

Unknown said...

I love all things mustard too - so does Bobby Flay so we're all in good company! This chicken looks delicious as always!!!

Unknown said...

You know I love the mustard potatoes, so I'll be giving this marinate a try soon as well.. when I start eating meat again. Why did I do this to myself?! :(

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking said...

What a creative marinade, Jenn! I absolutely love this, and it will be perfect for the next time I'm making grilled chicken and feeling in need of inspiration. Thanks for sharing! I bet this would be great over some pasta, or in a bun for a grilled chicken sandwich! :)

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

BHG has the best recipes!! And no shocker that I too crave mustard-y recipes all the time! The only slip up I've ever had was a mustard covered roast chicken. I thought it would be my dream come true but the mustard kept the skin too wet and it never crisped up... That's my only fiasco though - love the tangy kick it gives food. Another great one Jenn!

Victor said...

I love marinated chicken. I would even add some applesauce to give a sweet taste.

Mary Bergfeld said...

This really looks delicious. I love chicken. There's nothing that can't be done with it. I have to try this. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Chris said...

Sounds divine. I only have fresh herbs in the late spring and summer when they are growing in my yard. We do a lot of thyme, basil, and then also oregano, rosemary, parsley, and a few others.

4rx scam said...

I enjoy so much cook chicken food I will do this delicious recipe