Search This Blog

Saturday, September 11, 2010

The day we must never forget....

It's hard to believe that it was 9 years ago today.  Sometimes it feels like just yesterday.  I can remember getting ready for work and hearing my phone ring.  I remember thinking, geez, it's quite early for someone to be calling me, I wonder what's wrong.  When I answered the phone, I was greeted with my mother's shaken voice....she asked if I was watching the news...she said an explosion happened in one of the towers in New York City.  I was a bit confused....as she continued to sporadically try and tell me what happened, I walked over to the TV and flipped it on.  To my utter horror, I saw my mom was right, there was smoke pouring from the side of one of the towers.  I sat there dumbfounded.  What had happened?  Who could have done this?  And then, just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, a plane flew right into the second tower.


Within two hours, those symbols of New York City...of America...came crashing to the ground.  In an instant all of our lives were changed.


We must never forget that day.  We must never forget those who lost their lives in this tragic event.  We must never forget those that courageously climbed the stairs of those buildings to help rescue others, knowing the danger that lay ahead of them.

I believe that in the face of the enemy, we united together...We showed the world that even through this tragic event, we could united...we could stand as one...we could be PROUD to be American's.


But have we lost that?  Have we forgotten how to be kind to others, how to be patriotic, how to be proud that we are American's?  For the sake of our children, I hope not.

So, today, I ask that you take just one moment and think about those who lost their lives that day....for those that have lost their lives since then.  Today, honor those who died standing up to the terrorists by rushing the cockpit of a plane, knowing their lives would be lost, by going above and beyond yourself....be extra kind to people you don't even know, help a neighbor with his yard work, let that guy in the next lane over even though he's not using his blinker!

But most of all, today, be proud to be an American!

 

6 comments:

Debbie said...

You're right Jenn, we must never forget those that gave up their lives to help others on that day. I'll never forget the pictures of the firefighters going up the stairs in the towers to help those trapped, never to come back out. Horrible. We should be kind to one another but I guess we get caught up in the stress of everyday life and forget. I know I forget and can get a bad attitude real quick. Thanks for the reminder that life is truly short and unpredictable....

Pam said...

Jenn, this is a great post! We definitely must never forget those who sacrificed. It surely was a sad, tragic day for America and you are so right with being proud to be an American.

We were in Hawaii then when our son called early and told us about it. Thankfully, we had seen Pearl Harbor the day before as it was totally shut down when this happened. Your photos are great and so is that song.

Cranberry Morning said...

Thank you, Jenn, for this great post. I think in the years since 9-11, many have decided to be ashamed to be an American, apologizing for being American, believing that we are the problem for all the ills of the world. Yet it is America who has rescued people and nations, America who gives everyone the opportunity to pursue their dreams. It's to America where those who long for freedom still flee. As Abraham Lincoln said in his message to Congress in December of 1862, 'We shall nobly save, or meanly lose, the last best hope of earth.'

Mary Bergfeld said...

This is a wonderful post, Jenn. Thank you for helping to keep the memory of this event in our consciousness. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

Chris said...

Outstanding and meaningful post, Jenn. Nice sentiment about regaining that unity.

Jenn's Mom said...

What a beautiful tribute to such a horrible day! You don't remember, but we moved from NJ right after the second tower of the WTC was opened. We had watched them go up ever so slowly & then had to watch them come down in seconds, killing all in their wake!

Thank you for keeping us all aware of an event that we should never forget. Being active in the Patriot Guard brings the sacrifices still being made because of that day to the forefront of my mind almost every day. We have become friends with some of the parents of our Fallen Heroes & we owe it to them to never forget.

I was heartsick on Saturday because I was in Lincoln, NE and everyone had on Husker "gear". I was the only one I saw in the mall with a Flag T-shirt. A couple of people even stopped me to thank me for wearing it! Come on, everybody, get out that Patriotic clothing & let everyone know that we still care!