Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Homemade Potato Chips

We are a household of chip lovers.  Normally, it's Doritos and Cheetos, but still, we love chips.  I know they aren't the best things for us, but hey, it could be worse, I mean we could be eating deep fried butter right?  I got the idea to make my own potato chips when I accidentally over cooked my grilled potato rounds one night...they turned out to be burned chips...... the idea was born.  Now I considered doing these on the grill, but thought I might run into the burning problem again.  Plus, I thought it better to do this in the oven because if most people are going to recreate this, it would be in their ovens.

I've done these twice now.  The first time (which is what is pictured), I thought I over cooked them a bit.  These were the best looking ones.  Most of them were a deep dark brown color - closed to being burned but not quite.  The second time I made them I thought I could cut back on the time and I got the opposite affect.  Most of them were limp and were not crispy at all.  GRRRRR... but, what I realized is I just have to keep an eye on them.  If you see one or two getting really brown, pull it off the baking sheet and onto a plate to cool.  My opinion, they are better over done then underdone and soggy!  Nice thing is, you are making potato chips, so they don't have to be smokin' hot!

For seasoning I used pepper and garlic salt, because I was just testing...but if you think about it, the possibilities are endless on the seasoning you can use.  You can make them hot and spicy by using cayenne pepper...you can make lemon pepper flavor chips...you can make ranch flavor chips...you can make taco flavored chips....I could go on and on, but I think you get what I'm saying.  Experiment...have fun...that's what you are supposed to be doing in the kitchen...having fun!!!

Homemade Potato Chips
Printable Recipe 

Ingredients:
1-2 russet potatoes
olive oil
pepper
garlic salt

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Thinly slice the potatoes into rounds (I used the thinnest setting on my mandoline).  Place in pot and cover with cold water.  Let sit for 10 minutes.  Place the pot on the stove over high heat.  Just as it's starting to boil, set the time for 4 minutes.  Remove from heat and drain.  Toss with olive oil..enough to coat them...and then season with pepper and garlic salt.  Place the potatoes, in a layer, on a baking sheet.  Roast for 5 minutes, then rotate the baking sheet and roast another 5 minutes.  Remove from oven and flip the potatoes over.  Place back in the oven and roast another 5 minutes, rotate the sheet and then cook until chips are crispy and brown.  Remove from oven and let rest 5 minutes.  Enjoy!


9 comments:

Cranberry Morning said...

My husband would love these, especially with a heavy sprinkling of cayenne! :-)

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Homemade chips are a HUGE hit here, too. Really any browned potato is popular :) they look delicious, I so wish I had a plate of them for breakfast :)

Katrina (Betty Ray) said...

Mmmmmmmm....that's all I could think to say. :)

StephenC said...

I will make these. That's the greatest compliment I can pay.

Yenta Mary said...

Oh, those look amazing! I love anything potato-y, and even prefer the ones that are a bit overdone. I was waiting to read that you'd cooked them in your new smoker!!!

Debbie said...

Oh what a great idea! They look delicious. They would be gone in no time in my house!!!!

Kelly Loy Gilbert said...

Those look so good! What a great idea.

Also, deep-fried butter always amazes me. Have you actually tried it?? I'm so curious ... but I don't know if I'm curious *enough.* Haha.

Following you now! :)

Chris said...

Home made chips are the best ever. I know baked or microwaved are easier and better for you, but I LOVE frying them in a deep fryer. Guilty pleasure of mine.

Great tip on varying the seasonings.

Alisa said...

Thank you so much for sharing this! I couldnt make it fast enough for my boys. they really love it!