Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Yogurt Grilled Chicken with Pineapple Roasted Red Pepper Salsa

I have been wanting to make a pineapple salsa for a while now and I, for some reason, thought Chris disliked pineapple, so I put it off.  The other day I just flat out told him, I'm making this dish and that's that, you can leave the salsa off the chicken.  He looked at me with this odd look and said "I think the dish sounds awesome".  Well, I guess I was wrong and I'm glad I was.  Other then the fact that the roasted red pepper juice turned the pineapple a dull shade of "blah"...this meal was incredibly good!  I'm a firm believer in the fact that yogurt and mayonnaise are the best things to marinate chicken in.  They seem to give it this rich, moist flavor that I love love love!  The salsa added this wonderful peppery, sweet flavor to the dish.  Not much else to say other then ... this is a must try!!

Yogurt Grilled Chicken with Pineapple Roasted Red Pepper Salsa
Adapted from Dan Smith and Steve McDonagh, Food Network
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
For the Pineapple Salsa:
1 8oz can crushed pineapple
2 jarred roasted red peppers, diced
2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
1 teaspoon hot sauce (I used Arizona Gunslinger Habanero Pepper Sauce)
pinch of salt

Directions:
Mix the yogurt, olive oil, garlic, basil, oregano, lemon zest, salt and hot sauce together in a large bowl. Add the chicken and toss well to coat. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. 

Meanwhile, mix all ingredients for the salsa in a small bowl until well combined.  Set aside.

Preheat grill to medium.  Remove chicken from bowl and discard the marinade.  Oil the grill grates or spray with non stick spray.  Place chicken on the grill and cook 5-8 minutes on each side or until chicken is cooked through.  Remove chicken from grill.  Serve with pineapple salsa.  Enjoy!


(By the way, you can also bake the chicken at 400 degrees for about 15-20 minutes.  Or, place in cast iron skillet with some oil and cook 5-8 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in the middle.)

13 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

I wish I could have some for the lunch! They look so delicious!

Katrina (Betty Ray) said...

Mmmmmm, I love pineapple salsa. This looks delicious!

Cranberry Morning said...

Oh yum! Pineapple roasted red pepper salsa?? I have never had this. Sounds amazing! :-)

Pam said...

Way to go, Jenn! This sounds great! And that sounds like one "hot" hot sauce! Love the names they come up with for that. I have to try this as I love pineapple and it makes me think of the beach.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

I agree with Chris, this dish sounds great!! I love pineapple salsa!!! drag about the pepper changing the pineapple color. I wonder if a fresh pineapple would do that too. Ya know, for when they go on sale LOL :) Yogurt is a great marinade for poultry, I love it! YUM Jenn!!

Mary Bergfeld said...

I loved those guys and do miss them on the Food Network. Everything they made was great without being difficult to do. Your version of their dish looks and sounds wonderful. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

YUM!!! I love pineapple in my salsa. Especially when it's a really really spicy salsa. This looks delish!

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Pam said...

That salsa sounds wonderful!

StephenC said...

You know what a slave to brining I am, but I do agree that yogurt is an excellent marinade. I look at the pineapples when I'm shopping and rarely can bring myself to buy one. Perhaps I should just settle for one of those containers of pineapple chunks that are there always.

Unknown said...

I've never had pineapple salsa...but it looks really yummy!!

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking said...

I love your limitless ideas for grilled chicken! This is another must-try for my list. Thanks for sharing, Jenn!

Karen said...

I've never marinated chicken in yogurt or mayo...I'll have to give it a try.
Your dish looks delicious!

Chris said...

Yogurt is a great chicken marinade but buttermilk is pretty awesome too. I think they both work for the same reasons, the cultures.