Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Roasted Red Pepper Sauce with Chicken over Penne

I've been on a huge roasted red pepper kick lately.  Main reason is because I do so love roasted red peppers, but also, because I actually bought a jar of roasted red peppers and wanted to make sure I utilized every single one of them.  I normally would roast my own peppers, but sometimes, just sometimes, I do like the ease of certain things and jarred roasted peppers definitely makes things easy.

So when I was a kid there were really only a few types of sauces we put on our pasta....homemade, Ragu, and roast gravy (oh, yes, brown gravy you make with your roast tastes wonderful on pasta, TRUST me!!!).  As I grew older, I realized that there was so much more to pasta then the basic marinara/tomato sauce.  One of my favorites that I've stumbled across is roasted red pepper sauce.  It's got a wonderful flavor that's close enough to regular sauce but different enough that it makes you go...mmmmmm, yeah, I like that!!!

Roasted Red Pepper Sauce with Chicken over Penne Pasta
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cut into strips or bite size chunks
1 box whole grain penne pasta
I cup jarred roasted red pepper
1 cup chicken broth
1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 Tablespoons tomato paste
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped

Directions:
Cook pasta according to package directions.  Drain.

In a food processor, add the red pepper, chicken broth, balsamic vinegar, olive oil and tomato paste.  Pulse until combined.  Pour into a sauce pan and cook over medium heat until just heated through.  Add the chicken and the basil.  Serve over pasta and enjoy!

10 comments:

Yenta Mary said...

OMG!!! I would eat that for breakfast, lunch, dinner and a midnight snack!

Cranberry Morning said...

I'm with Yenta Mary on that!! :-) All delicious ingredients and the long red peppers in my garden are ready to be picked - and maybe roasted! Great idea.

StephenC said...

Beautiful, colorful!

Katrina (Betty Ray) said...

Oooh, this looks yum. I'd like some right this minute!!

Pam said...

Great! This sounds so delicious! I love roasted peppers and have a jar in the refrigerator so I need to get the pasta out and try this. Brown gravy with pasta-I will definitely have to try that one too! Thanks!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

DUDE this sounds SO freaking good!!! What a YUMMY recipe! I'm bookmarking this one for sure. Heck I might make it for lunch today!!! WOO HOO a new pasta recipe, thanks Jenn!

And all I can say is WORD on the gravy on pasta. Pot roast with egg noodles and gravy, oh man is there much better in this world? :)

Mary Bergfeld said...

I so love the flavor of red peppers. This dish has my name on it. It sounds delicious. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Chris said...

Oh wow this looks good! Filling too.

Roasted red peppers rock! Roasted any kind of pepper rock, actually :)

Cheeseboy said...

I have never made homemade sauce. I didn't even know there was such thing!

pepper sauce said...

Chili peppers like cayenne have a bad--and undeserved--reputation for contributing to stomach ulcers. Not only do they not cause ulcers, these hot peppers may help prevent them by killing bacteria you may have ingested, while powerfully stimulating the cells lining the stomach to secrete protective buffering juices that prevent ulcer formation.