Search This Blog

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Tilapia with Sambal Vinaigrette and Ginger Lime Cream

Ok, so this could have just been made without the lime cream, but I thought it needed something cool to offset the hot from the vinaigrette.  Now you know I love spicy, so it wasn't that I NEEDED it, it just seemed like the right thing to do.  I actually got the idea for this dish from a recipe I saw on Epicurious.com, it was for Halibut with Sambal Vinaigrette and Wasabi CreamI was trying to decide what to make for dinner because I once again, forgot a main ingredient when we went to the store.  I realized it about an hour before I was ready to cook and, well, quite frankly, I did not feel like going to the store to get it.  I mean, I had to have something that I could throw together, right?  That's when I saw the Sambal staring at me from the pantry.  It was unopened and begging to be set free....a quick search on the internet, a few adjustments to the recipe and dinner was created!  Don't you just love it when things come together like that?

The Sambal vinaigrette was incredible!  And the ginger lime cream added a great tangy coolness to everything.  The sauce girl was completely satisfied after this meal....I WILL be making this vinaigrette again!!

Tilapia with Sambal Vinaigrette and Ginger Lime Cream
Adapted from Epicurious.com
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1 1/2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
2 1/2 teaspoons Sambal Oelek chili paste
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/4 cup vegetable oil
salt and pepper
4 Tilapia fillets
olive oil
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 teaspoon ginger
lime juice (to taste)

Directions:
In a small bowl, combine sour cream, ginger, and lime juice (how much you use is up to you...make it how every tart you want it to be...I used about 1-2 Tablespoons), mix until well blended.  Set in refrigerator until ready to use.

In a blender, add the vinegar, chili paste, and mustard.  Pulse a few times to combine.  Add the oil and pulse until blended.  You can also use the jar method, which is what I did:  Pour all the ingredients in a jar, seal tight, shake, and pour into small bowl.  Set aside.

In a non-stick skillet over medium heat, add about a teaspoon of a olive oil.  Season the fillet with salt and pepper on both sides.  Cook the fish, about 3-4 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with a fork.

Serve with vinaigrette and ginger lime cream.  Enjoy!

8 comments:

Yenta Mary said...

What a gorgeous color! It is absolutely seductive!

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a lovely combination. The colors make it very tempting and the flavors must be wonderful together. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

Katrina (Betty Ray) said...

This looks so delicious! Going in my must - trys. Enjoy!

StephenC said...

I could use some other hot pepper sauce, right? Love the mix of cold, creamy with spice.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

2 sauces Jenn? Is that a new record for you? LOL :) This sounds really good. I think I need to try it, soon, with chicken instead of fish. Love the cooling lime cream with the spicy vinaigrette. YUM!

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking said...

I have some tilapia in my freezer that's in need of a creative dinner idea. This looks like just the ticket! I love all of the unique flavors you paired together here. Great job on this, Jenn!

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

Wow. I agree with you on the 'cool' and I bet it was the right call. You are getting mighty fancy Jenn and I like it.

Angie's Recipes said...

Sambal vinaigrette!!! wow...that sounds and looks gorgeous! I think the lime cream is perfect to pair and balance the flavours of the whole dish.