Search This Blog

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Nutella and Peanut Butter Brownies

Two Sunday's ago, I had this strange feeling come over me.  I hadn't had a feeling like this in a while...at least not since the summer started.  I had that feeling that I just needed to bake something.  Yes, bake....even though it's still in the 100's here, I actually wanted to bake.  I think I'm jealous of all the other blogs I read that talk about all the fall like weather they are having!!  The downside of this need/want was that I didn't want to go to the store, that could be a a problem. I looked in my pantry to see what I had...flour, yes, baking powder and/or soda, yes, vanilla, yes, and so on and so on.  But then I saw the Nutella gazing at me from beside the peanut butter.  I wonder......................  I went to my computer and typed in Nutella, peanut butter, recipe... and behold the creation of Nutella and Peanut Butter Brownies!!!  YES!!! Not only were these absolutely delicious, they were WAY simple to make.  Though I do seem to be having a problem with timing lately and this was no exception.  The recipe called for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees.  Mine took about 40 minutes at that temp.  Had I thought about it a bit more, I would have increased the heat to 375 and just watched them closely.  But no matter, these little gems were wonderful.  Nice and chocolatey with a tad bit of peanut butter, but I didn't get a lot of the hazelnut flavor from the Nutella.  Next time I might cut the cocoa powder down and add a bit more Nutella...I don't know.  If you could find actual hazelnuts, you could chop them up and add them to the mix....These are actually so incredibly easy, that experimenting with the recipe would be extremely fun!

Nutella and Peanut Butter Brownies
Adapted from The Craving Chronicles 
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1/2 cup of butter, melted and cooled
1 cup of sugar (granulated)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1/2 cup of flour
1/2 cup of cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup Nutella chocolate hazelnut spread

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line an 8x8-inch baking dish with parchment paper (or spray with non-stick spray and coat with a little cocoa powder).

Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.

In a bowl of a standing mixer, cream together the butter and the sugar.  Beat in the eggs one at a time and then stir in the vanilla.  Add the dry ingredients a little at a time, mix until combined.

In a small bowl, add the peanut butter and Nutella.  Microwave about 10-15 seconds, just enough to get them to combine smoothly.  Fold into the brownie mix.  Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for 30-40 minutes, rotating the pan every 10 minutes, or when a toothpick poked into the center comes out mostly clean; start checking doneness after 25 minutes.  Remove from oven and allow to cool before cutting into squares.  Enjoy!

****Today is the last day to enter to win a $55 CSN gift certificate.  You have until 8:00pm Eastern Standard time tonight.  Click HERE for all the details!****

You might also want to swing by Bo's Bowl and enter his cookbook giveaway!!  Oh, go on, you know you want it... go check it out, I'm done here :)

15 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

Brownies with peanut butter and nutella could be deadly addictive! Well, you just live life once, so why not? :-))

Angie

Katrina (Betty Ray) said...

Oh yeah, this sounds really good and easy. Very nice!

Cranberry Morning said...

I've got to try this. I've got two daughters who've been known to take a spoon and eat that stuff (Nutella) right out of the jar. LOL

Tanyia said...

ooooh yumm!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Brownies made with nutella?? Um, hello delicious!!!! Holy cow Jenn this looks so good! I'm gonna make them soon. And by soon I mean probably today :)

Yenta Mary said...

Oh, my God, I can't even believe how luscious those look!!!

StephenC said...

I think I mentioned in my book early on how Peter and I used to eat ice cream with nutella every night after dinner. I haven't had nutella in a very long time, time for you to Fedex some brownies to me.

Pam said...

They look so good!

Cheeseboy said...

Congratulations - you made Nutella sound good.

Jean at The Delightful Repast said...

Jenn, I've never tried Nutella (Am I the only one?). If it had come along before I lost my taste for chocolate years ago, I would have tried it for sure. I know, I know. I just made chocolate cupcakes. But not for ME! I do like hazelnuts, though. Hazelnuts shouldn't be hard to find; sometimes they're called filberts.

Karen said...

Wow...I need to get some Nutella. I've seen so many yummy things with it lately, and this is no exception. The brownies look wonderful!

Pancita Llena said...

how many brownies will you get from this recipe?

Unknown said...

Pancita, it depends on how big or small you cut them. This makes an 8x8-inch pan full. I'd safely say you'd get 9-12 brownies from it.

Pancita Llena said...

Thank you so much! I made the recipe and in this moment im allowing them to cool :D

Bob L. said...

I made these this morning, and they are really good. Great recipe. I kept checking as recommended and the cooking time was right around 37 minutes for me, and I added a half a cup of chopped hazelnuts. I am having family over for dinner today, and will serve the brownies with vanilla ice cream and hot fudge sauce for dessert. I'm sure it will be a hit.