Search This Blog

Monday, February 14, 2011

Surf & Turf for Two

 
Chris and I celebrated Valentine's day (I use celebrated loosely, as Chris is not a fan of Valentine's day, which is perfectly fine with me, as I believe everyday should be the day you remind the one you love just how much you love them!!) on Saturday night with a meal of Surf & Turf.  And what a meal it was!  Accompanied with Roasted Mustard Potatoes (check back tomorrow for that yummy recipe) and Grilled Green Beans.  It was the perfect dinner.  Something that was a little different from our norm, yet simple and quiet easy to throw together.

Even though we did not have a romantic setting for this dinner, it was still the perfect Valentine's gift for the two of us.  I got to grill a fine piece of steak and some tasty (and let's not forget fresh) shrimp.  I enjoyed the final product with the love of the my life.  I even cleaned the kitchen after we were done eating!  I mean it was the least I could do to show my love and appreciation to Chris.  Ok, I'll admit, there were like 4 dishes to wash and that had a lot to do with my wanting to "do such a nice thing for Chris", but I did it and that is what counts, right?

I kept the ingredients to this dish very simple.  I wanted the true flavors of the beef to come out so I did not marinate it.  I know, you are surprised, but it was the best decision I made.  The steak was still perfectly seasoned and you almost didn't need a knife to cut it... it was that tender!  My measurements are approximates....go ahead and up them or cut them back depending on your preference....remember, if you are making this for you and your loved ones, you want to make it for your tastes not mine :)

Surf & Turf for Two
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
2 Ribeye steaks (mine totaled about 3/4 pound)
6 fresh wild shrimp 16/20ct shell and tail removed, deveined if necessary
olive oil
1 teaspoon Herbes de Provence
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
bamboo skewers

Directions:
About an hour before you are ready to start grilling, rub a little olive oil on both sides of the steaks and season each side with 1/4 teaspoon each Herbes de Provence, salt, and pepper.  Let rest in refrigerator for 30 minutes.  Remove from fridge and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before putting on the grill.

30 minutes before you are ready to grill:  In a small bowl, toss together the shrimp, 1 teaspoon olive oil, the lemon juice, oregano, and red pepper flakes.  Season with a little salt and pepper.  Allow to sit in fridge until you are ready to grill them.  Have 1 or 2 bamboo skewers soaking in water for about 30 minutes - you'll put the shrimp on them just before you're ready to grill.

Preheat grill to 400 degrees.  Oil the grill grates.  Place the steaks directly over the fire and grill for 4-10 minutes per side depending on your preferred doneness.  Remove from grill and allow to rest for 5 minutes.  While the steak is resting, place the shrimp skewers over the fire and allow to grill about 3-4 minutes per side.  Serve with steak and enjoy!!


One Year Ago:  Easy Baked Fish Fillets

8 comments:

Yenta Mary said...

Sigh ... :) I usually use my herbes with chicken, so will absolutely have to try some on beef!!!

Unknown said...

The steak looks great. Well, you are the grill master :) I'm very interested to try those grilled beans too. Looks and sounds delish!
Have a great day.

StephenC said...

This was worth waiing for after your days off! We too are non-believers when it comes to V-day. Welcome back.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

I"m with you - V day is just lame LOL! but it was nice of you to do the dishes for Chris :) The meal sounds & looks really good! We're having steaks tonight and now I wish I had shrimp too. Might have to go get some :)

Roxan said...

Surf and turf is a great idea for valentine's day! My husband would also love that - he almost always orders it when he sees it on a menu. Great job with the dish, and happy valentines to you Jenn.

Pam said...

What a perfect dinner! I love steak and shrimp.

Cranberry Morning said...

Thank you for the great tip! I'm going to be grilling steak in a couple hours and I'm using your recipe! :-)
It's nice to have a meal done AND cleaned up after, isn't it! I hate a messy kitchen!

Chris said...

Absolutely perfect for me. Ribeye is my favorite steak and shrimp go well with it, since they cook while the steak rests. Good meal planning on your part.