Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Spicy Potato Soup

This is a soup recipe that I found, oh, probably about 12 years ago!!  That was back in a time when the simpler the dish, the better, as I was not that great of a cook nor did I have the passion for it that I have now.  Now, the simpler the dish the better due to time...and this is a great soup to throw together even on a week night. It can be ready, from start to finish in just over an hour...now, who doesn't have time for that...especially when an hour of that time is spent letting the soup simmer??

The soup gets it's spiciness from the hot sauce.  You can always leave it out all together or cut back on the amount used.  If you are looking for more spice....add some diced up jalapenos...or heck, throw in a chipotle (or two)....it couldn't hurt :)

Spicy Potato Soup
Adapted from Taste of Home
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef (I used 90% lean)
2-3 cups cubed and peeled potatoes (1/2-inch cubes) (I used 2 large Russet potatoes)
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/2 sweet onion, finely diced
1 clove garlic, minced
3 cans (8 oz each) tomato sauce
3 cups water
1 teaspoon pepper
1 Tablespoon hot pepper sauce (I used Frank's Hot Sauce)
2 teaspoon seasoning salt (I used Country Bob's - you could use 1 tsp of kosher salt)
1Tablespoon fresh, chopped parsley

Directions:
In a Dutch oven or large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.  Add the onion and cook about 5-8 minutes or until tender.  Add the garlic and cook 1 minute.  Add the ground beef, breaking up with a wooden spoon.  Cook about 5-8 minutes or until the meat is almost cooked through.  Add the tomato sauce, water, pepper, hot sauce, and seasoning salt; stir to combine.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour, or until the potatoes are tender and the soup has thickened.  Top with parsley.  Enjoy!


One Year Ago:  Leek Potato Soup

15 comments:

Big Dude said...

Sounds delicious Jenn.

Yenta Mary said...

How did you know that just about 10 minutes ago, I was thinking about how good potato soup sounded??? This looks fabulous!!!

egbkid said...

This looks delicious, i love making home made soups, especially on stormy days! Thanks for sharing!!

Ott, A. said...

I'm very intrigued by your recipe, as I canned a bunch of potatoes and am looking for different soups to use them in. Thanks for posting, this is getting bookmarked.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

I've never had a red potato soup! Based on how frigid it is here this am I'd go for a big bowl full of that now :) This sounds really good & different from our usual soup. Thanks Jenn, I'm bookmarking this one for sure!

Cranberry Morning said...

I love tomato in almost anything, and potatoes have always been a favorite of mine. Looks like a great combination!

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Mmmmmm, I'm making potato soup tomorrow!!!

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Unknown said...

Sounds like a wonderful soup and you do live dangerously with the jalapenos and chipotle :) but heck, why not?

Pam said...

Mmmm. Now I am totally craving potato soup.

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking said...

Oh Jenn, this looks mouthwateringly good. Mmmm. You always come up with the most creative dishes. I love this one!

Unknown said...

A fine comfort soup! Thanks for sharing!

Victor said...

Looks delicious and hearty. Thanks for sharing.

Roxan said...

Oh I love that you use an entire tablespoon of hot sauce in here! I love spicy foods. My husband does too, even though they make him sweat when he eats them. This soup looks delicious, and I would be happy to make it on any day of the week, especially those where I'm short on time.

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

MMMMMMMMmmmmm. Simple yes but wow - what flavor they pack in here! You know - life is funny that way. I too, used to cook simply to keep us fed rather than relishing in the process but over time became OBSESSED by the act. And now, I don't know what the hell is going on (okay a new puppy may be partly to blame) but I literally find if I want to make a good dinner we don't eat until 10! So this recipe is a gem. As is your wonderful blog dearheart!

Chris said...

I like it, although it's not as spicy as the tomato soup I made last Wednesday that had 2 Tbsp of sriracha sauce in it. I am pretty sure they meant tsp on that one, lol.