Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Grilled Steaks with Balsamic Teriyaki Sauce

I haven't been posting a lot of sauce recipes lately.  Oh, don't you worry, I've been making sauces... it's just that.... well, I haven't been making anything new.  I quickly mentioned on Monday that I was having a bit of a "cookers block" (yes I made that up, whatever), and, well... it's true.  I have been in a slump.  I don't have much excitement about cooking lately and I really don't like the feeling.  I know it will pass... it always does... but this has lasted longer than usual and none of my usual tricks are helping me creep out of my funk.  It's just a bit frustrating, is all.  ANYWAY... I was recently inspired to make a teriyaki balsamic sauce that I knew would work perfectly with steak.  And what's great... I was right!  The sauce turned out to be simple, delicious and was the perfect condiment for the steak!

Grilled Steaks with Balsamic Teriyaki Sauce
Created by Jenn's Food Journey
- Serves 2 -
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
2 Steaks (I used rib eye)
1/3 cup beer
1 Tablespoon chili paste (Sambal Oekel)
2 teaspoons Sriracha
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 Tablespoons homemade or store bought teriyaki sauce

Directions:
Place steaks in a resealable plastic bag.  In a small bowl, mix together the beer, chili paste and Sriracha until well combined.  Pour over steaks.  Seal bag and place in refrigerator for 2-8 hours (the long they sit, the better they will be).

Meanwhile, in a sauce pan, over medium-high heat, add the soy, balsamic and teriyaki sauce.  Bring to a boil and allow to cook for 5 minutes, or just until the sauce starts to thicken.  Remove from the heat and allow to cool.

Preheat grill to 400 degrees F.  Clean and oil grill grates.  Place the steak over direct heat and grill 5-10 minutes per side or until it's reached your desired doneness.  Remove from grill and allow to rest for 5 minutes.  Serve with sauce and enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Grilled Spicy Garlic Shrimp with Tomatoes over Pasta
Two Years Ago:  Spicy Grilled Shrimp with Creamy, Cooling Asian Sauce
Three Years Ago:  The Real Chimichurri

9 comments:

Cranberry Morning said...

I'll take mine medium well with just a drizzle, please. :-) Looks delicious.

Pam said...

Whenever I have "cookers block" I head to the library to check out a bunch of cookbooks. They always have a huge selection and it gets my creative juices flowing.

The steak and sauce look amazing to me!

Chris said...

If I am the only one who misread cookers block as something else, I am surprised :) ;)

Pam said...

This sounds like a great sauce! Sriracha always works and there's some in the fridge now so have to try it!

Big Dude said...

I understand that funk thing as I've been in and out myself all summer. I'm looking forward to our trip so I'll have something new to write about.

Unknown said...

hate cookers block... it comes to us all... I feel like i'm repeating and repeating but then suddenly i'll feel inspired... stick to the simple stuff, that's what I say... this sauce is perfect and I have ALL the ingredients, plus I adore blasamic, it's such a wonderful flavour... lovely stuff!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Once the intense heat passes your "cooker's block" will pass. In the meantime, I'd like to know what time you are firing up the grill. Have a fabulous day, Jenn. Blessings...Mary

StephenC said...

I may be on blog "vacation" but that doesn't mean I am not reading the lastest chapters of your book. 4 minutes per side for my steak please.

Lea Ann (Cooking On The Ranch) said...

My good friends moved to Chicago and donated their entire kitchen supply to us. I've hardly been to the store and trying to use things up .. luckily I've got posts backed up from pre-donation. But I know what you mean, sometimes you just can't always come up with something new. Love this sauce, I could drink balsamic from the bottle. And this is such an interesting combo. Sounds great Jenn.