Search This Blog

Friday, August 23, 2013

Spicy Fish Tacos with Creamy Jalapeno Coleslaw

Once again, this is yet another sad looking photo.  It's not bad, just sad.  Nothing to dress it up with... no sides to give the plate a little life.... I am pretty sure I was just too hungry and said F it when I took these pictures.  BUT, the recipe turned out so well, I had to share it.  Plus, I know most of the time, I'm harder on myself on my photo taking skills (or lack there of) then any of you are :)

This is a spicy way to enjoy one of our favorite meals.....
 
Spicy Fish Tacos with Creamy Jalapeno Coleslaw
Created by Jenn's Food Journey
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
For the fish -
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 tilapia fillets
flour or corn tortillas (small or medium sized) 
For the coleslaw -
2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon sour cream
3/4 teaspoon white vinegar
1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 jalapeno, stem and seeds removed, roughly chopped
salt and pepper
7 oz coleslaw mix (half a bag)

Directions:
In a small bowl, mix together the first 7 ingredients until well combined.  Sprinkle liberally over both sides of each piece of fish.  Allow to rest for at least 30 minutes.

Preheat grill to 350 degrees F.  Place each piece of fish in a large square of aluminum foil sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.  Pull together two sides and fold.  Fold in ends to create a packet around the fish.  Place directly over the heat and allow to grill for 7 minutes and then rotate 180 degrees.  Continue grilling for another 5 minutes or until the fish flakes easily with a fork.  Remove from grill and allow to cool for 5 minutes before cutting the fish into strips.

Meanwhile, in a food processor, add the mayo, sour cream, vinegar, sugar and jalapeno.  Pulse until jalapeno has been chopped fine.  Place the coleslaw mix in a bowl and toss with the dressing.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Build the taco by placing two strips of fish on the tortilla and top with coleslaw.  Serve and enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Culichi Sauce a la Ruben
Two Years Ago:  Grilled Pork Chops with Adobo Paste
Three Years Ago:  Cinnamon Swirl Loaf

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Right. That's it! Fish tacos this weekend. Damn that looks so fine!

Angie's Recipes said...

The photos are mouthwatering! Spicy fish fillets and creamy coleslaw are great together!

Pam said...

They look great, good enough to eat! Now I'll have to have tacos with your creamy jalapeno slaw. Ummmm!

Pam said...

Your photos are great - quit being so hard on yourself! :)

The tacos look mouthwatering. I love spicy fish tacos and the slaw is the perfect topping for these bad boys.

Becki's Whole Life said...

I don't always get excited about fish tacos, but spicy and the coleslaw completely got my attention! I'm the same way when I am taking pics of anything I have for dinner....I'm usually like f'it...good enough - lets eat! Plus my family is usually already eating:-)

Catherine said...

Dear Jenn, This sounds wonderful. The spice mix is just perfect. I am sure these were great. Blessings dear. Catherine

Unknown said...

Fish taco and coleslaw... I need nothing else to be frank... OK, perhaps, a cold beer :)

Big Dude said...

I'm sitting outside looking thru screen glare so can't comment on the photo, but it sure does sound good. I especially like the idea of jalapeno slaw.

Anonymous said...

Doesn't look at all sad - looks scrumptious to me!! LOVE fish tacos and nice side with the coleslaw :)
Mary x

Chris said...

No side dish is needed, it comes included IN the taco via the slaw. So technically, you're fine :)

Mary said...

These tacos sound delicious and you are being way too hard on yourself. They look great! I need to make fish tacos again very soon, so I'm saving this recipe now. Thanks!!

Unknown said...

What a lovely recipe. Thanks for sharing your beautiful information.
Indian spices