Search This Blog

Monday, December 17, 2012

Death by Chocolate Cookies

Just like last year, this Christmas baking season got away from me.  Working 50+ hour weeks can do that to a person, though.  I barely have time to make dinner any more, never mind making the time to do anything special on the weekends, I'm usually far too burned out.  So my apologies for, once again, not having any goodies to share with you.  If you are interested in seeing Christmas goody posts, CLICK HERE for some past recipes.  Otherwise, I can at least share with you a fantastic cookie recipe I did end up trying this weekend.  I actually ended up with just a little extra time and I was surprisingly in the mood to bake, so I reached deep into my "must try" cookie file and found this delicious little concoction from Andrea the Kitchen Witch.  These cookies were extremely simple to make and, ooooh my woooooord, were they ever decadent!!!  I can't believe it took me almost two years to finally make these!

Death by chocolate?  Is there truly any better way to go???

Death by Chocolate Cookies
Very slightly adapted from Andrea the Kitchen Witch
- Makes about 3 dozen -
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder (I used natural unsweetened)
1 egg
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 - 2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a bowl of a standing mixer, with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and vegetable oil until light and fluffy.  Add both sugars and cream again until light and fluffy.  Add the cocoa powder and mix until just blended together.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the egg and vanilla.  Mix until blended together, scraping down the sides at least once.  Add the flour (start with 1 cup and add until the batter is no longer wet), baking soda and salt.  Slowly mix until well combined.  Remove bowl from stand mixer and fold in the chocolate chips with a spatula.

Scoop batter onto cookie sheet and bake for 10-11 minutes.  You want the bottom and edges to be slightly crispy.  It's hard to tell when they are done due to the dark color, so use your timer.  Allow to cool slightly before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.  Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Christmas Goodies
Two Years Ago:  Guest Post - Crab Delights

9 comments:

Unknown said...

no better way to die.... x

StephenC said...

I'd like to comment, but I died just looking at the pix.

Cranberry Morning said...

One can never have too much chocolate, that's for sure! Sorry about StephenC.

Pam said...

They look fantastic to me!

Angie's Recipes said...

These cookies look to die for, Jenn!

Mary said...

oh, yes, death by chocolate would be the best possible way to go. Hooray for finally getting to bake a little bit!

Pam said...

Sinful! Hope you get to take a breather and relax for a long while real soon!

Big Dude said...

Bev makes these and I pretty well like death by chocolate anything

Velva said...

These do look amazing. My family would definitely enjoy these cookies.

I can totally relate to burned out work weeks.

Happy Holidays to you.

Velva