Search This Blog

Monday, August 16, 2010

Parmesan Orzo with Salmon

First off...Chris and I are heading to Oklahoma tomorrow morning to visit his family.  All though I am looking forward to spending time with his amazingly, wonderful family, I am not looking forward to the humidity of the Oklahoma summer.  I don't really miss the days of taking a shower and never really being dry after that.  Lucky for us, his dad and step mom live on a lake, so there will at least be a place to get some relief from the heat and humidity!  There is also talk of go-kart racing....and not on a go-kart race track either!!  Don't worry, I'll be bringing my camera to document whatever crazy antics Chris and his three brothers come up with.  While I'm gone, you will still be graced with some tasty recipes.  I have the pleasure of having some amazing bloggers guest blog for me....so check back and see what they have in store for you....believe me, you won't be disappointed!!  Oh...and I probably won't have very much access to a the internet while there, so if you email me, please be patient, I will answer you as soon as I can!

Now....regarding this scrumptious little dish:

I think I am going to start referring to orzo as the "Friday Night Special"!  It seems to be the thing I gravitate towards when Chris is not eating with me.  I'll blame him for this...if he would not dislike orzo so much, I could make it on a Monday or Wednesday!!  I tend to go with a fish he might not like either... are you seeing a Friday night trend here? :)

This was the perfect little meal for me.  I kept the salmon simple...the additions to the pasta were just left over items I had in my fridge.  The orzo was cheesy and smooth.  I ate this warm, but had it cold for lunch the next day and it was just as wonderful!

Parmesan Orzo with Salmon
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
6oz salmon fillet
juice of 1/2 a lime
honey
salt and pepper
cayenne pepper
3/4 cup orzo pasta
1 3/4 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup cucumber, diced
1 Roma tomato, seeded and diced
1 Tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
2 Tablespoons grated parmesan cheese

Directions:
Place the salmon on a large square of aluminum foil sprayed with non-stick oil.  Drizzle the lime juice over it.  Now drizzle honey over it, about 1/2-1 teaspoon.  Season with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper.  Close foil around the salmon to form a packet.  Place on grill preheated to medium.  Cook for about 10-15 minutes, depending on the thickness.


Meanwhile, in a saucepan, bring the chicken stock to a boil.  Add the orzo and cook according to package directions (about 8-10 minutes).  Drain the pasta, reserving 1/4 cup of the stock.

Pour the orzo into a medium size bowl.  Shred or chop up the grilled salmon and add it to the orzo.  Add the cucumber, tomato, parsley, and parmesan cheese.  Stir to combine.  Enjoy warm or cold!

 
    

12 comments:

Cranberry Morning said...

I've never heard of orzo. I think I need to get out more! Salmon with anything sounds wonderful to me, and this dish looks pretty and delicious!

Have a safe and good time with the family in OK. We're finally getting relief from our long stretch of heat and rain here in NW Wisconsin, but I realize what I talk about as 'heat' here is nothing compared to the heat of OK. We'll look forward to your return and will keep an eye on your guest bloggers. :-)

Debbie said...

Have a great trip and a blast on the go karts!!! I think your dish looks terrific and I love orzo and salmon....

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Orzo strikes again!! >:-) Muhahahaha! I love the things you put in the orzo, cucumbers are divine! Have a fun trip, can't wait to see the pix from the go Karting.

StephenC said...

When I saw the word "orzo" I knew it had to be a Friday night special! And salmon! You must have been in heaven. Have a fun and safe trip.

Pam said...

Your salmon looks delicious and I must try this! Have a great safe trip and a good time in OK! It finally cooled down here, 81 degrees today and no humidity. Wishing that for OK just because of you!

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

This looks fantastic Jenn. Sometimes it's nice to make whatever you want and enjoy it all by yourself:) Also I love a dish that's as great cold as it is hot. Nice one!

Yenta Mary said...

That is an absolutely perfect summer meal! It looks so, so good!!!

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a lovely solo meal.I adore both salmon and orzo, so your recipe has a special appeal to me. Enjoy your holiday and the company of family. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Bo said...

Have a great trip...This looks delicious.

Unknown said...

I love it, strange thing I have never thought to top pasta with salmon - yum

The Glamorous Gourmet said...

Wow, that looks delicious! I am a big fan of orzo too - can't wait to try this recipe. I just signed up to follow you fabulous blog! Stop by and visit me sometime at www.stephaniesavorsthemoment.com! Looking forward to your next post & hope you have a very fun trip:)

Lose Weight Fast said...

Pizza and salmon, well isn't my salmon loving husband going to think he has hit the jack-pot. Great idea, thanks.