Search This Blog

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Fish Tacos

The first time I went to Rocky Point was actually the first time I had a fish taco.  The sad part of that story, I was well into my 20's by then!!  We stopped at this restaurant (forgive me, I do not know the name, don't know if I ever knew it actually...lol) and it honestly was the only thing they had that sounded good.  I'm glad I ordered it, it started a whole new love affair for me.  It came out to the table very simple: corn tortilla, deep fried piece of fish, cabbage, a wedge of lime, and this oh so delicious white sauce.  It was like heaven.  Ok, so the fish was deep fried, that pretty much guarantees that it will be good...but still, there was something....you know.. SOMETHING...about it that I just couldn't get enough of.  I think we may have gone back to that place at least one other time while we were there, but fish tacos were everywhere, and they were basically the same no matter where you went...in Mexico that is.  In America, we have of course, "Americanized" the fish taco.  You can find it fried or baked or grilled or pan seared.  You can find it with pico de gallo, on flour tortillas, with lime cilantro crema, with picked onions, or with salsa verde.  Even I couldn't resist putting my own twist on this personal favorite.  I don't have exact amounts of some of the ingredients and that is due to not knowing what YOU like.  I like the smaller flour tortillas, some people like a bit larger one...I can make two tacos out of one piece of fish, some can make one with almost the entire piece.  Chris wanted tomatoes and cheese on his, I did not (that was TOO Americanized for me).  So, I give you the canvas, my loyal readers...you, may create whatever you would like from there.

One thing before you go...I have a button now that anyone can grab and put on their site.  A HUGE thanks goes out to Chris for creating it.  He worked hard to get it up and on their for me and I can't tell him thank you enough.  So many things would not be possible on this site without his assistance....thank you my love... you ROCK! :)

Fish Tacos
Ingredients:
8-inch flour tortillas
3-4 tilapia fillets
salt and pepper
1-2 limes, juiced (additional lime wedges are a great condiment for these tacos too)
vegetable oil
1 avocado, sliced or diced
thinly sliced cabbage (or you can use coleslaw mix - we had some leftover, so I just used that)
Sriracha may (I just mixed 3 Tbls mayo with 1/2-1 Tbls Sriracha)

Directions:
Drizzle the lime juice of the tilapia and season with salt and pepper.  In a cast iron skillet, add just enough oil to coat the bottom, place on grates of a preheated grill. (you can also do this on the stove top with cast iron or non-stick skillet)  When the oil is heated, add the tilapia and cook about 5 minutes each side or until the fish flakes easily with a fork.  (don't worry if the fish falls apart at all, you are going to cut it into chunks anyway!)  Remove fish from skillet and place on a plate lined with a paper towel, to drain.  Cut (or just pull apart) the tilapia into chunks or bite sizes pieces.

To build the tacos, place some cabbage on one side of the tortilla.  Add pieces of the tilapia and top with avocado and the Sriracha mayo - or add your own fresh toppings if you prefer!  Enjoy!



15 comments:

Yenta Mary said...

I love meals like this, where each person can make the taco his or her own. I think I want everything on mine -- can't hurt the feelings of any potentially neglected ingredients, now, can we???

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Mmmm, yummy and healthy! This is another great one! I'll be grabbing your button later today, girlie!

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's for Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Here's a shocker: I've never tried a fish taco! i have made shrimp tacos, however, which is pretty darn close. These sound really good Jenn, fish & all :) I love the lime & crispy cabbage - YUMMY!!

Unknown said...

In san diego fish tacos are a staple, love them

StephenC said...

There is fish on our menu for tomorrow. If I can get to Sunflower Market to get the best tacos around, I'll go this route.

Mary Bergfeld said...

These really look delicious. I love fish tacos and I really like how you've prepared them here. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

These look divine Jenn. I'm sure there are any number of ways of prepping them around your part of the country (I know here in Austin people have quite strong opinions on them:)

But this way looks and sounds completely delicious and un-intimidating. I'll be trying it for sure - though I can't get that steak marinade out of my head from your last post at the moment! And congrats on your button. What a sweet hubby!

Cheeseboy said...

Fried, baked, whatever, I would eat it. Now if I could only get my wife to buy fish...

My Little Space said...

What a wonderful fish taco! Simple and also easy to make. Thanks for sharing. Have a nice day.
Cheers, kristy

Lynn said...

This looks so good! I think it's the avocado with the fish that is especially appealing. I'm not sure that I've ever had that combination before. But it sure looks tasty :)

partialemptynester said...

Mmm, so light and tangy, I can just taste them now! I'm skiddish about fish tacos, don't like them too deeply fried, bleh, but a light coating, so perfect! My hubby's the real fish taco lover, he'll eat any way he's served them :)

megan said...

Would you believe I've never had a fish taco? It just never seemed good to me. But lately I've been seeing them all over the place, so I really need to try one!

Angie's Recipes said...

I have never tried a seafood wrap. This looks so nice and healthy.

Houdini said...

This is the frist time I see a fish taco. Great. The sad part, I am well over my 20's by now!!
I love your 3 loves!

Taylor said...

Mmm I LOVE fish tacos! Anytime I see them on a menu at a restaurant, my decision is automatically made...fish tacos every time!