Search This Blog

Monday, October 18, 2010

Smoked Beef Tri-Tip

I know, I know...I can hear you all now:  "Not another smoker recipe... I don't have a smoker, why does she keep posting recipes when she KNOWS most of us don't have smokers?"  I'm sorry, my loyal readers, but this one is a MUST post.  Chris and I both agreed, this is by far the best meal that has come out my smoker.

And speaking of my smoker...have I mentioned lately how much I LOVE it???  No, well, there you go, I just told you then... I LOVE it!!  I have never had a charcoal or wood smoker, and I'm sure that there is something about those methods that could be even more satisfying then mine, but this Electric Smoker by Masterbuilt is one of the easiest things I've used.  And clean up is a piece of cake (mmmmmm...cake!!!).  I love that I can start up the smoker and in about 30 minutes (or less sometimes), it's preheated and ready to go!  No having to wake up at the butt crack of dawn to start the fire!  If you are looking to purchase a smoker, I highly suggest looking into this one.  (This is the opinion of Jenn's Food Journey only.  In no way have I been compensated for my review of this product.)

I got the idea in my head that I was going to make a smoked brisket.  So, I ventured to the grocery store and was once again shocked at not only how big.... wait... how HUGE the cuts of brisket were, but how expensive they were too.  OUCH!  I asked my butcher if he'd be willing and/or able to cut the smallest one I found in half.  I mean come on, 8lbs of brisket for just Chris and I...geez, oh, we'd be eating until next year!!  Anyway, he informed me that with the way they were packaged, he could not oblige.  FINE..whatever, I said Thanks anyway, you big jerk - Wait - Ok.. I said that in my head, but in reality I just thanked him politely and walked away.  Now the dilemma....I'm not spending $35 on a cut of meat but I really wanted to smoke something.  Do I go with something I've done before such as ribs or chicken??  UGH.....I don't know, I don't know!!  And then I saw the cuts of beef tri-tip sitting right next to the brisket.  Mmmmmm...Tri-Tip... I've had that at BBQ places before and liked it a lot...why not give it a shot?  A quick call to Chris verified that he was all for trying it, and I was sold.  I've never made tri-tip before.. not grilled, not in a crock pot, not baked, not anything... never never... so I wasn't quite sure what to expect.  What I didn't expect was for it to turn out to be so wonderful!  A little sweet, a lot smokey, VERY tender...Perfect!  And as I said in the beginning of this post, this was the best thing to come out of my smoker yet!  Dare I say perfection????

Smoked Beef Tri-Tip
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
2 1/4 lbs beef tri-tip
For the rub -
1 1/2 Tablespoons Hungarian Sweet Paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
For the mop - 
2 Tablespoon your favorite barbecue sauce
3 Tablespoons apple juice

Additional items needed for smoking:
1-2 cups hickory chips (soaked in water for at least 30 minutes)
1 cup apple juice
1 bottle beer (I used Samuel Adam's Oktoberfest)

Directions:
In a small bowl, mix together the ingredients for the rub together.  Rub on both sides of the tri-tip.  Wrap in plastic and let marinate in the refrigerator for 4-24 hours.

Preheat smoker to 225 degrees.  Add the beer and apple juice to the water pan of the smoker.  Add the wood chips.  In a small bowl, mix together the ingredients for the mop and set aside.

Place the tri-tip on the top shelf of your smoker and allow to smoke for 2-4 hours (depending on desired doneness), mopping with sauce very 20-30 minutes, or until the meat registers 140-145 degrees (medium).  Remove from smoker and let rest for 5 minutes before cutting it.  Enjoy!


18 comments:

Bo said...

I have a smoker, so I like the smoker recipes...I have the same problem with brisket too...They are just to big for 2 people.

Yenta Mary said...

You should be getting a commission from all the sales of smokers that are going to eventually result from your tempting us with all this amazing food!

Cranberry Morning said...

I had to remind myself that you are too far away to be expected to deliver dinner to me tonight. :-) Boy that looks good! What's tri tip?? I've heard of sirloin tip, but am not familiar with tri tip. It looks like a great cut of meat. I like lean meat and the BBQ sauce and apple rub makes me want to try this for dinner tonight. But then I'd have to order the smoker. Maybe another time.

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Oh that looks so good. I want a smoker!!!!!

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

Thanks Jenn now I want to go buy a smoker TODAY and make this. Just a question though - why the 2-4 hours for smoking? Is it 'done' after 2 and just gets better with more time or is there another variable in play? So glad you ventured out with tri tip and encouraged us all to do so too!

Medifast Codes said...

Looks mouth watering, I don't have a smoker would love one.

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking said...

Ohhh, this looks amazing, Jenn! My husband and I LOVE tri-tip, and as it's usually on pretty deep discount at the store, we cook it about twice per month. We've never tried smoking it, though, just grilling. I bet the taste is so sensationally juicy! Thanks for sharing!

StephenC said...

Whine, I don't have a smoker - I am a smoker.

Unknown said...

I would show this to my hubby, but then he would want to marry you. HA

Unknown said...

Alisa-I should have clarified more on the recipe...2-4 hours is just depending on desired doneness. Good question :)

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

No that totally makes sense. Your recipes are always thorough sister! I was just curious;)

Chris said...

Oh my I think you have fallen in head first. There's no going back now. You have broken through that learning curve (all smokers have them, take a few cooks to get them dialed in) and now ya'll are addicted!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Oh wow tri tip!! I've always wanted to smoke a tri tip!!!! JEALOUS! It looks amazingly good, so tender and flavorful. I'm lovin' the cocoa powder in the rub!! WOO HOO chocolate :)

Seriously Americas test kitchen has a recipe for a bbq smoked tri tip that I've been oogling for ages!!! It looks almost as good as yours! Unfortunately tri tip is always uber expensive here :( However if/when I see it on the cheap I'm getting it. And I'm smoking it baby!!

Keep the smoker recipes coming! Love them!

steve said...

Smoker is perhaps the most useful for making a good and tasty food and it helps in preserving the food quality.

Antohny said...

Using a good smoker is the best way to preserve good food (meat, vegetables and fruits). I love this post.

Shauna said...

This is my third time making it tonight & everyone always loves it sooooooo much that I haven't even thought of looking at any other recipes! Thank you Jenn!

Amos Perkins said...

Smoker makes the food taste even better !

Dan said...

I've had my smoker for 5 years now and I still have not tried a brisket yet! Definitely going to give it a try soon!