Search This Blog

Monday, October 11, 2010

Oven Baked Fish 'N Chips

I'm a big fan of fish and chips, I'm just not a big fan of all the fat and calories that go along with them.  But they do make a really good bar food, that is for sure.  I crave bar food every now and then, is that a bad thing?  Well, instead of actually going out and getting bar food, I thought I might sort of bring the bar food to my house, but leave most of the fat and calories at the bar!  I'll consume enough extra calories from drinking a beer with my meal!  Now I'll admit, oven baked just doesn't have the same yummy goodness as something that has been deep fried, but they still have their own level of yummy goodness.  The fish was nice and crispy on the outside and moist and flakey on the inside.  The chips...well, you've seen these before on my site, I didn't stick with the standard french fry type of chip, I went with homemade potato chips.  So, needless to say, this is not a traditional style fish and chips, but it is a healthier and yet still tasty version you can make at home, with much less guilt!

Oven Baked Fish 'N Chips
Ingredients:
1-2 russet potatoes
olive oil
pepper
garlic salt
2 catfish fillets
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 egg white
1 Tablespoon water

Directions:
For the Chips:  Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Thinly slice the potatoes into rounds (I used the thinnest setting on my mandoline).  Place in pot and cover with cold water.  Let sit for 10 minutes.  Place the pot on the stove over high heat.  Just as it's starting to boil, set the time for 4 minutes.  Remove from heat and drain.  Toss with olive oil..enough to coat them...and then season with pepper and garlic salt.  Place the potatoes, in a layer, on a baking sheet.  Roast for 5 minutes, then rotate the baking sheet and roast another 5 minutes.  Remove from oven and flip the potatoes over.  Place back in the oven and roast another 5 minutes, rotate the sheet and then cook until chips are crispy and brown.  Remove from oven and let rest 5 minutes.

For the Fish:  (these will go in your already preheated oven at 425 degrees) Cut the catfish fillets into strips.  On a plate or shallow dish, add the flour and season with salt and pepper.  In another shallow dish mix together the panko, pepper, garlic salt, and paprika.  In yet another small bowl or shallow dish, whisk the egg white and water together.  Dredge the fish in the flour, then the egg wash, and then the panko; pressing down to make sure they are well covered with the panko mixture.  Place on a non-stick baking sheet.  Repeat with the rest of the fish.  Place in oven and bake for 5 minutes.  Remove and turn the fish over.  Place back in the oven and bake another 5 minutes.  Turn the broiler on (you don't have to move the rack up) and let broil for another 3-5 minutes or until the fish are golden brown.  

Serve with chips.  I also made a spicy tartar sauce to go with it.  I just made regular tartar sauce using mayo, sweet pickle relish, and lemon juice and then added some Sriracha hot sauce to it.  I even dipped my chips in it!!!  Enjoy!

9 comments:

Yenta Mary said...

Lots of flavor, as only Jenn can do it; less fat. Sounds like a fabulous meal to me!!!

Unknown said...

Jenn- I got my CSN Store Giveaway purchase Friday. I received a gorgeous white wine chiller, I used it first thing. Thanks so much again!

Pam said...

Much healthier than fried fish and chips but just as tasty!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Yum! Do you find it strange that I'll eat fish in stick form (or batter dipped and deep fried) but not pan sauteed? Well its true. And this looks GOOD!! Fish & chips, yum. Pass the malt vinegar, please :)

StephenC said...

Hurrah, catfish. This all looks fun and fabulous!

Karen said...

I love this idea...deep frying is such a lot of work. Baked is definitely the way to go. And I like the spiced up tartar sauce. Sounds great!

megan @ whatmegansmaking said...

yum, this is my kind of bar food! :)

Cranberry Morning said...

Sounds great! Fish-n-chips, my favorite! :-)

Milenna Tolstoy said...

I hoped saw this 3 years earlier. I really hope that i did. You have great ideas on fish recipes here.