Search This Blog

Monday, October 25, 2010

Goat Herder's Mac and Cheese

WARNING:  If you are worried at all about your weight or your intake of fat and calories per day, do not continue reading this post.  I say do not continue because once you start, you are going to find yourself thinking about this recipe and sooner or later you WILL make it!!  And once you make it, you'll want to make it nightly!

You have been warned.

I found this little gem of a recipe on One Perfect Bite.  I have raved about Mary's site before and this time is no exception.  Mary can take something that I don't even like (like her blue cheese dip) and make it into something that makes my mouth water!  I love the excitement of clicking on her site and seeing what she has in store for us next!  When I saw her post for this Goat Herder's Mac 'N' Cheese, I knew it was yet another mac & cheese recipe I was going to have to try.  I mean goat cheese....mmmmmmm...you know it's just going to be decadent and amazingly good!  Now Mary uses 3 cups goat's milk in her recipe and I used about 2 cups of evaporated goats milk...I don't know how much of a difference that makes, but the evaporated kind was all I could find....either way, this turned out amazingly well and I will be making it again......SOON!!!


Goat Herder's Mac and Cheese
Slightly adapted from One Perfect Bite
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
2 cups evaporated goats milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons flour (all purpose)
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
1 Roma tomato, seeded and finely diced
4 oz crumbled goat cheese
8 oz elbow macaroni

Directions:
Cook pasta according to package directions.  Drain.

In a saucepan, combine the butter and flour.  Whisk until a roux forms.  Slowly whisk in the goats milk and bring to a simmer.  Let simmer until sauce thickens.  Add the lemon juice, jalapeno, tomato, and goat cheese and stir until cheese melts and sauce becomes smooth.  Add the pasta and cook until warmed through.  Check for seasoning....and enjoy!!

14 comments:

Yenta Mary said...

Oh, that looks perfect! I never bake my mac 'n' cheese, preferring it creamy like this. Gonna have to make this soon, methinks ... :)

Cranberry Morning said...

I've got to try this. I like the addition of lemon. I bet it's great!

StephenC said...

Oh my goodness, where do I find evaporated goat's milk? I've never seen it. I would imagine that just the goat cheese would give it the right kick.

Pam said...

Wow, wow, wow! It looks creamy, flavorful, and so delicious.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Goat cheese mac & cheese? Shut the front door!!! Oh man I must have this. I'm with Stephen, where does one find evap goats milk? MUST FIND! I love goat cheese!!!

Angie's Recipes said...

I love mac and cheese. It looks so creamy and satisfying!

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking said...

I've never met a mac and cheese I didn't like, and I am CERTAIN I would love this one. The goat's milk flavor is very unique - I'd love to try that. Do you ship to California? ;)

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

I have never heard of evaporated goats milk but I think I need to make friends with it FAST. Love and adore Mary's blog - thanks for sharing this great recipe of hers!

Chef Dennis Littley said...

You can call me an old goat if you feed me some of that creamy goat hearders mac and cheese, it looks delicious!! I have never thought of using goat cheese, what a great idea!

Des said...

Oh good Lord. I need this. Like now.

Zoe said...

You got lots of interesting food ideas and I'm happy to follow you and hear more from you in the future. Nice and creamy cheesy mac! Yummy!

Jewels said...

I just made it tonight! Fantabulous. Thanks Jenn! For those asking were to get goats milk, I found it at my local Kroger/Fry's where the regular evap/condensed milk is. Also, they had a one quart carton of it in the health section. Trader Joe's also usually carries goat milk.

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for the comment! I'm glad you enjoyed it. And yes, you can find the goats evap milk with the other evap milk.. I had emailed Stephen and Andrea, but forgot to post it here! Thank you :)

Chris said...

For some unfathomable reason, I have never added jalapeno to our mac and cheese. I'll change that shortly! Nice job, Jenn!