Search This Blog

Friday, October 29, 2010

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins

Before I get to the food I have two things I want to talk to you about:
First...tomorrow is Andrea the Kitchen Witch's birthday!!  WOO HOO!  I would like you all to make sure that you swing by Andrea's site and wish her a happy birthday!  You can even tell her that Jenn sent you :) 

Happy Birthday, Andrea!!! Hope you have a fantastic day!!

Second...It's time to finally brag about Chris!!  Most of you probably do not know that Chris is a musician.  And a damn good one too!  The man is amazingly talented.  He can play numerous instruments AND he sings!  But I could go on and on about him....what I really wanted to tell you about is a little cover song challenge that he has going on over on his website.  He knows a ton of other extremely talented musicians and put the word out to them that he was going to host The Great Cover Song Challenge (Second annual by the way). So head on over to his site (which he built himself...see, talented!!) when you have some time and vote for your favorite song...the winner gets to boast for a year that they are the CCRecords champion of the world....or something like that!
Now the muffins....
Most of you know that my company moved to a different office on the 16th of this month.  I wanted to do something nice for the people that actually had to get up early on a Saturday morning (a Nebraska football Saturday by the way), so I thought I'd make muffins.  I threw a few ideas I had on which muffins I wanted to make at my boss and the one that got the biggest and best reaction was Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins.  Well, by the time I got home from work on Friday night, I was really not in the mood to spend more then 15 minutes in the kitchen.  So I did a quick search for CCC muffins and this was the first recipe that popped up.

What you should all be aware of, is that this recipe is by my arch nemesis....Nigella Lawson.  That's right... Chris has a HUGE crush on Nigella..and well, no other woman should entice my man with her food the way she does (LOL...for those who don't know me we, I'm being silly here, I am not that jealous of person, believe me)!!! Seriously...she is trying to lure him away with making anything from her kitchen sound erotically fascinating...  Her and her round curves and her insatiable love for food!!!  Grrrrr.......But I digress... :)  These muffins were extremely easy to make...that was why I picked this recipe.  Nigella prides herself in creating simple yet delicious recipes.  The less work in the kitchen, the better.  I was not disappointed in the ease of this recipe....what I was disappointed in was the flavor.  I wanted them to be more chocolately then they were.  Don't get me wrong, they were really good, but I guess I just expected...or wanted... more!  I figure, if I make these again, of if you want to try it yourself, I would add a bit more cocoa to the mix....that should help with the more that I was looking for!


Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins 
Ingredients: 
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 Tablespoons good quality cocoa powder
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips, plus 1/4 cup for sprinkling
1 cup milk
1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Directions: 
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Line a muffin tun with muffin cups or spray with non-stick cooking spray.

Put the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa, sugar, and 3/4 cup of the chocolate chips into a large bowl.  Pour all the liquid ingredients into a measuring cup.  Mix the dry and wet ingredients together, remember that a lumpy batter makes the best muffins.  Spoon into the prepared muffin tins.  Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips on top and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the muffins are dark, risen and springy.  Enjoy!

 

9 comments:

Yenta Mary said...

For once, you're tempting me with breakfast food at breakfast time! These look amazing!!! Nigella is underrated, in my opinion, but she certainly knows how to work her charm; I saw her with Charlie Gibson years ago, talking about a recipe for Slutty Red Raspberries. OMG, he blushed and was flustered through the entire segment! On my way to Chris' site to vote now ... :)

Cranberry Morning said...

When I saw the blog post title, it reminded me of the cardinal directions, you know, like NNE or SSW. Anyway, I also add extra cocoa powder to many of my chocolate recipes for I, too, like things to have a stronger chocolate flavor. These look good, especially just out of the oven. :-)

Angie's Recipes said...

These are some good looking chocolatey muffins!

Pam said...

Look at all the chocolate goodness. They look terrific.

StephenC said...

I feel like a pariah by not being a dessert person. Of course, if you put these muffins in front of me I would try one! lol

Karen said...

I love chocolate chip muffins because they are such a good excuse for chocolate in the morning. And even when you're on your third muffin, you can still act like you're eating something healthy because it's a muffin.
These look delicious!

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking said...

You know, I don't think I've ever had a chocolate chip muffin. Well, no time like the present! These look delicious, Jenn. Thanks for sharing!

Cheeseboy said...

NOOOOO! This looks too darned good!

Spoon and Chopsticks said...

Wow.. love the texture...

Jenn, I have tagged you. Please read this: http://spoon-and-chopsticks.blogspot.com/2010/10/thanks-elisabeth-for-tagging-me.html