Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Chicken Biscuit Pie

One of Chris' favorite meals is chicken pot pie.  I have never been a fan of chicken pot pie, so I have actually only made it once for him... and it was just for him, and it was VERY early on in our relationship.  After that... he may have eaten one, but it wasn't from my kitchen!!  A couple weeks ago, I was scanning through my new Food Network magazine, when I ran across a recipe for turkey biscuit pie.  Sort of a spin on the old pot pie... this was done in a cast iron skillet and used a biscuit topping and, to my surprise, looked AMAZING!!   So, I thought what the heck, let's make Chris happy and feed my little sudden craving all at the same time... it's a win win situation in my book!!   I'm so glad I tried it.. it was delicious!!  My chicken mixture got a little thick, which I didn't mind, the one thing I don't like about pot pies is sometimes they can be too soupy.  And, of course, I took a short cut and used Bisquick mix to make the biscuits.  Despite those little differences, I was very happy with the dish and so was Chris, so as I suspected... it was definitely a WIN WIN!!

Chicken Biscuit Pie
Adapted from Food Network Magazine
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
2 chicken breasts, cubed and cooked
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1/2 sweet onion, diced
2 teaspoons chopped thyme
salt and pepper
1 Tablespoon whole grain mustard
3 Tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup milk
For the biscuits-
1 1/2 cups Bisquick mix
1/2 milk (maybe more.. sorry I didn't measure)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

In a cast iron skillet, over medium heat, melt the butter.  Add the carrots, celery, onion and thyme.  Season with salt and pepper.  Cook, stirring occasionally, for 7-8 minutes or until the veggies are tender.  Stir in the mustard then sprinkle in the flour.  Cook for 2 minutes.  Whisk in broth and milk.  Add the chicken.  Reduce heat to simmer and cook until the sauce thickens, about 3 minutes.  Remove from heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.

Make the biscuits by mixing the Bisquick and milk together until combined.  Drop dough in randoms areas on top of the chicken mixture.  Place skillet into oven and bake until the biscuits are golden brown, about 10-15 minutes.  Carefully remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.  Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Cornflake Crusted Tilapia
Two Years Ago:  Jalapeno Pesto Chicken
Three Years Ago:  Every Chip Cookie

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Ooooh that looks so good. So warming and hearty and old fashioned. Gorgeous!

Yenta Mary said...

Oh, man! That looks SO good!!! I adore pot pie, Jeremy hates it - soupy, as you note, and doesn't like the crust. So this would be his idea of comfort food perfection ... :)

Unknown said...

What a lucky guy! That looks so good and comforting.

Cranberry Morning said...

Perfect for those below zero temps in Arizona. ;-) Actually, it looks delicious and truly perfect for our cold winter evenings! (eaten beside an open fire, of course!) And I like the chicken part thick too. Hate it when it's too thin.

Mom said...

Oh! This is a must for tonight, since it's so cold! Looks wonderful!

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

You silly girl - what's not to love about a chicken pot pie?! Looks like you did a great job on this one. Hope it won't be your last!

Pam said...

I can't believe you don't like chicken pot pie! That is my ultimate comfort food.

Your chicken biscuit pie looks amazing - I may have to make it for dinner tonight. :)

Lea Ann (Cooking On The Ranch) said...

I've seen a recipe like this before and thought it looked really good. And really??? you don't like chicken pot pie???? :::: sigh :)

Chris said...

Don't like pot pies? What kind of lunatic are you?!?!?!?

Just kidding. We've done something like this before and Alexis loved it.