Search This Blog

Monday, November 28, 2011

Beef Roast

Pot Roast Image © Diana Rattray
I'm sorry to say the picture used here, are not mine.  No, I actually wanted to sit down to dinner at the same time Chris did... I mean it was Thanksgiving and all... so I decided not to take a picture, thinking it would be fine, that this wasn't that great of a dish to post anyway.  Well, I was wrong.... once I took a bite of the melt in your mouth roast, I knew I had made a mistake....hence the borrowing of others pictures.  This was too easy and too good not to share.

Chris and I decided to forgo the traditional Thanksgiving meal this year.  With moving into the new house and the fact that it was just the two of us, it just seemed like too much work to put a whole Thanksgiving meal together.  After a quick discussion about it, Chris recommended that we do a roast. And I thought, PERFECT!  I can throw it in the crock pot in the morning and forget about it the rest of the day.  That freed up my entire day to relax, unpack, and frankly, just do whatever the hell I wanted to.  The perfect way to spend Thanksgiving... well, perfect would have included all of my family, but I think you see where I'm going with this :)  This is very simple and could actually be done in a Dutch oven in a low temp oven too, so don't fret if you don't have a crock pot.  Where there is a will, there is a way!

***Just a little extra note - starting tomorrow I will be showcasing recipes that highlight vanilla beans.  And not just any vanilla beans... you might remember I mentioned IndriVanilla a few weeks back and the awesome prices they have on vanilla beans.  Well, I finally got around to testing them out in different recipes ... and trust me, you aren't going to want to miss these!!***

Beef Pot Roast
Created by Jenn's Food Journey
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
2 lb beef roast
olive oil
garlic salt
pepper
2 cups beef broth
1 cup water
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 packet onion soup mix (I used Lipton's)

Directions:
Heat a non-stick skillet over medium high heat.  Rub the outside of the roast with olive oil and season liberally with garlic salt and pepper.  Sear all sides of the roast in the heated skillet (this should only take about 5-8 minutes).  Remove from skillet and place in crock pot.  Mix together the broth, water, Worcestershire sauce, and onion soup mix.  Pour over roast and cover.  Cook on high for 30 minutes.  Turn down to low and cook for 8 hours.  For faster cooking time, cook on high for 4-5 hours.  The meat should just fall apart!!  Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Grilled Chicken with Bacon Balsamic Glaze

15 comments:

Yenta Mary said...

Oh, the dilemma of being a food blogger! Annoy and delay people by taking pictures, set a plate just for a photo op, take pictures that you don't use 'cause the meal didn't turn out as planned, or don't take pictures - 'cause you're going to eat like a normal person for once! - and then the regrets. Oy!!! The meal sounds fabulous ... :)

StephenC said...

This is my kind of roast. And: Where there's a will, there's usually a corpse.

Sue/the view from great island said...

I don't blame you for wanting to sit down and eat rather than fiddle with a lens! I've (almost) never met a pot roast I didn't like, so I'll try this for sure.
I'm looking forward to the vanilla bean posts!

Mary said...

YAY for vanilla bean posts! I ordered a ton of them earlier this year and I would love some ideas for using them in different recipes.

The roast sounds great too. How could you not love an easy holiday meal that involves the crockpot!

Pam said...

I made prime rib instead of turkey this year - it was awesome. I am loving this roast recipe. Simple food is the best food.

I hope the unpacking is coming along nicely. Have fun in your new home!

Mary Bergfeld said...

It is so hard to beat simple and delicious. This sounds wonderful. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Maryo

Becki's Whole Life said...

I just got a nice chuck roast on sale and I always like to try new recipes when I do a roast. This sounds great - I love using the onion soup mix.

Dining Alone said...

This looks great and I am looking forward to the vanilla bean recipes!

Unknown said...

yummmy on all fronts. Happy Holidays.

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

Yum!!! I used to fear and loathe pot roast and once I turned 30 it became one of my favorite thing to eat... An upside to aging I suppose? FYI I'm making pot roast for my extended family on Christmas Eve - how funny.

Katie said...

What a great way to celebrate Thanksgiving! It sure looks like it gave turkey a run for its money.

Candace said...

Your day actually sounds perfect and so does your roast. My mom uses Lipton Onion Soup on every one of her roasts and they are always awesome. It makes the most incredible gravy! I will be looking forward to the vanilla bean posts for sure!

IndriVanilla said...

Love your nontraditional Thanksgiving feast! We haven't gotten to prepare our own as a couple yet--still attending grandparents' celebrations--but when we do, I'm going to be roasting chicken instead of turkey!

Chris said...

Our neighbors did the same thing, except they cooked theirs on their Egg. They don't like turkey. And they didn't take any pictures either, ha ha.

Desi said...

Sounds melt-in-my-mouth scrumptious! I'll be making :)