Search This Blog

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Southwest Grilled Tilapia (a redux)

Before I get started... I wanted to give a quick shout out to my pal Stephen, The Obsessive Chef.  Today is Stephen's birthday!  If you have a quick moment, pop on over to his blog and wish him a happy birthday!  Hope you have a great day Stephen!  Happy birthday!

Now, on with the food!!  My very first recipe that I posted here was for Southwest Baked Tilapia.  I believe no one saw it.  That's ok, though, it gave me this great opportunity to share a really good dish with you again.  Now, I grilled it this time and added a nice little aioli to go along with it, but I used pretty much all the same ingredients.  I don't know if that makes it a true redux or not, but it's close enough in my book!

Southwest Grilled Tilapia (a redux)
Created by Jenn's Food Journey
- Serves 2 -
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon Hungarian sweet paprika
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon salt
lemon juice
2 tilapia fillets
For the aioli -
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon lime juice
1/2 teaspoon champagne vinegar (white wine vinegar would work too)
3/4 teaspoon spice mixture for the fish

Directions:
Preheat grill to 350 degrees F.  In a small bowl, mix together the first 8 ingredients.  Remove 3/4 teaspoon for use in aioli.  Tear off 2 squares of aluminum foil - big enough to enclose one piece of fish each.  Spray with non-stick cooking spray.  Rinse the fish and pat dry with a paper towel.  Place fish on prepared foil.  Drizzle the fish with a little lemon juice and sprinkle the spice mixture evenly over each piece (you might have a tad bit left over... if so, save it or add a bit more to the aioli).  Fold opposite edges of the foil together creating a packet over the fish.  Place packets directly over the fire and allow to grill for 12-15 minutes or until the fish flakes evenly with a fork.  Serve with aioli.

Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the aioli until well combined.  Cover and place in refrigerator until ready to use.  Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Chorizo and Shrimp Wraps
Two Years Ago:  Murphy's Hot Hamburger

10 comments:

Becki's Whole Life said...

This sounds great and that aioli is definitely a reason for a redux. I will check out Stephen's blog and say happy b'day!

Big Dude said...

The coating looks delicious - did you flip it?

Cranberry Morning said...

Yep, my favorite herbs and spices. And looks delicious!

Unknown said...

Larry - No flipping necessary. The foil packet that it grills in does all the work. I do, however, rotate the packet once during the grilling process, just to make sure I get even cooking.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Yum this sounds good! I have 2 filets of tilapia in the freezer and was just waiting for inspiration to strike on what to do with them. Consider me inspired :)

Pam said...

I love the flavors you used on the tilapia and in the aioli... this is my kind of meal!

Pam said...

Love all the spices in this! It sounds delicious. Hungarian sweet paprika is awesome for color and taste. I HB'd him!

Lea Ann said...

I swear I had this for dinner last night. Except I used a commercial SW seasoning. However, I didn't think to make an aioli for it. Sounds delicious Jenn!

Chris said...

Gah! missed the birthday:( Going to hop over there.

Jean | Delightful Repast said...

What a tasty combination of flavors! I hate to admit it, but I still haven't tried tilapia; I better get with the program, huh? Of course, like you, I'd eat styrofoam if it had a good sauce. Am I right? :D