Search This Blog

Friday, May 7, 2010

Penne with Beef & Bell Pepper

If you have the food network, I'm sure you have seen Giada.  Oh how I love her shows :)  She's so cute and boy, can that girl COOK!  When I saw this episode I thought.. hhhmmm... pasta and steak... yea, that's a great combination...so I tried it.  HEAVEN!!!!

The combination of the balsamic vinegar and Dijon mustard gives the pasta this great tangy zip.  And the steak, well, it's steak, you know it's gonna be good!!!  If you didn't have New York strip, you can use another cut.  They were actually having a great sale on it last time I was at the store, so I snagged up a nice (almost) one pound piece and added this to my menu plan.  I had made this once before with leftover steak and had completely forgotten about the recipe.  Then, just a few weeks ago, I happen to catch a rerun of the episode where Giada made it.  It was cute, she packed it in a basket to take to her husband at work....aaaawwwwwwwhhhhhhhh!!!  I'm a romantic at heart, I can't help it!!

And just a reminder, don't forget to enter the first ever Jenn's Food Journey giveaway, you have until Monday night!
 

Penne with Beef & Bell Pepper
Adapted from Giada De Laurentiis, Food Network
Ingredients:
1 (1-pound) New York strip steak
1 teaspoon herbs de Provence (or Italian herb seasoning)
Garlic Salt

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound penne pasta
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

1 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for steak
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
1 red pepper, roasted on the grill until just softened, then cut into strips


Directions:
Season the steak with salt and freshly ground black pepper, herbs de Provence, and garlic salt. Grill steaks on a preheated grill for about 7 minutes on each side. Remove the meat from pan and let it rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice the steak. Set aside.

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain pasta.

In a small bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, fresh herbs, and olive oil. In a large bowl toss the pasta with half of the salad dressing. Add the red pepper and steak, more dressing, and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, as needed.  Enjoy!

3 comments:

Stephen C said...

Lovely dish. Next time the "manager's specials" bin at Safeway has rib eye I'll get some and try this.

Odd fact: Peter much prefers red or yellow bell peppers to green. Sometimes I crave the flavor of green pepper. It's probably something from way back growing up when the only peppers you saw were green. So don't be surprised if I substitute when I make the penne.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Oh boy I bet this is good!! Next time steak goes on sale I'll give this a shot. The hubby will LOVE it!

Michelle said...

Mmmmmmm my mouth is watering!

What's in herbs de Provence? I've never seen it at the store.