Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Topolo Caesar Salad with Chicken

Towards the beginning of my salad kick, Lea Ann from Cooking on the Ranch (Highlands Ranch Foodie) sent me this recipe for a different type of Caesar salad.  I couldn't wait to try it when I scanned the list of ingredients and saw that it used a Serrano pepper!! I will never pass up a recipe that uses Serrano's... their heat and flavor are one of my favorites of all the peppers.  The great thing is...this salad delivered exactly what I was expecting...a very light, yet flavorful salad dressing!  Thank you Lea Ann for the fantastic suggestion!!

Topolo Caesar Salad with Grilled Chicken
Adapted from Rick Bayless
- Serves 2 -
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1/4 cup fruity olive oil
1/2 Tablespoon champagne vinegar
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 Tablespoon mayonnaise (or 1 egg)
1 Serrano pepper, stemmed and seeds removed, roughly shopped
1/2 teaspoon lime zest
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 grilled chicken breasts, thinly sliced (I just sprinkled some Ms. Dash on two boneless, skinless breasts and grilled)
4-5 cups romaine lettuce, torn or chopped
1/4 cup goat cheese, crumbled
1 Roma tomato, chopped or sliced
croutons (homemade or store bought)

Directions:
In a food processor, add the olive oil, vinegar, Worcestershire, mayonnaise, Serrano, lime zest and salt.  Process one full minute.  Season with more salt if needed and set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, about 1 tablespoon of the dressing and half the cheese.  Toss to coat and then split evenly between two plates.  Top with sliced chicken, remaining cheese and tomato.  Drizzle with remaining dressing and top with croutons.  Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Spicy Chipotle Shrimp Stir-Fry
Two Years Ago: Ranch Chicken Pizza

8 comments:

Big Dude said...

It would be hard to choose between this and the Greek one - both sound outstanding. Lea Ann has never steered me wrong.

Mary said...

very nice, Jenn! I have been playing with spicy dressing ideas lately too. This one sounds delicious!

StephenC said...

Controversy: raw egg and/or anchovy in Caesar salad? I skip the raw egg and use a splash of nam pla (fish sauce) to give a hint of the anchovy concept. This all sounds pretty healthy.

Chris said...

that looks great to me. The chicken is flawlessly grilled, by appearance.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Sounds like a really tasty twist to the regular Caesar salad. Salad is always tastier when topped with yummy chicken :)

Pam said...

It looks and sounds awesome! I am loving all of your salads.

Unknown said...

i'm both loving and hating your salads... i've been eating nothing but stodge for the past week or so and your virtue is deafening!... i might send you cake and force feed you!... it really does look like a stunning salad and quite an unusual mix of ingredients for a caesar!

Lea Ann (Cooking On The Ranch) said...

I am so glad you gave this recipe a try. It's one of my favorites. And thanks so much for the shout out, always fun to see your name in lights. :) I'm trying to eat healthy before the gorging begins next week. This looks mighty good.