Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Creamy Cucumber and Grilled Potato Salad

Oh my gosh.. it RAINED!!! It really RAINED!!!  WOO HOO!!!!

Okay, for some of you out there, you are going to read that and think.. "what the heck is wrong with this girl?  It rains all the time.. in fact, it's been raining for a week straight..."  Let me remind you, I live in the southwest desert.  It does not rain all that often and honestly, I can't remember the last time it did rain here.  I mean really rained.  Not that rain that comes down for 1 minute and then clears out - I'm talking rain that lasts for more than 10 minutes.  And that's exactly what it did Monday AND Tuesday night!  Granted, it came with pretty harsh winds that moved our shed about a foot, but it still rained!!  It gave us some much needed moisture - Maybe I can get the grass in the front yard to grow now!!

Anywhoooo... on to the salad.  It might not be the prettiest thing I've posted, as I got the potatoes a little more grilled than I wanted them, but it was still REALLY good!  When I first saw this recipe, I thought.. potatoes and cucumbers?  and then I thought.. yesssss, potatoes and cucumbers, that could totally work!  And what do you know.... it did :)

P.s.... to all of you that left comments on Chris' post from Monday - we both want to say thank you from the bottom of our hearts!!  We loved reading what you all had to say and your kind words are very much appreciated.  We are both very lucky to have found each other!!  And who knows, maybe with your encouragement, I can get Chris to guest post again!!!

P.s.s... I have been having major internet connection issues over the last two weeks, so I have not been the best at commenting on your blogs and even responding to some emails, but I am still out there and hopefully the problem will be fixed sooner rather than later!

Creamy Cucumber and Grilled Potato Salad
Adapted from Food and Wine
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
3 Tablespoons mayonnaise
1/2 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 Tablespoon olive oil, divided
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
salt and pepper
16 oz baby potatoes, halved
1/4 of an English cucumber, sliced and cut in half

Directions:
Place the potatoes in a large, microwavable safe dish.  Add one tablespoon of water and cover with plastic wrap.  Place in microwave and cook on high for 1 minutes.  Carefully remove the dish and shake to toss potatoes around.  Place back in microwave and cook for 1 minutes.  Carefully remove and check to see if potatoes are just barely fork tender.  If they are not, continue to cook for 30 seconds at a time until they are.  Remove from microwave, uncover and carefully drain out the water.  Let rest uncovered for a few minutes.  Toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and set aside.

In a small bowl, mix together the mayo, vinegar, sugar, mustard, remaining tablespoon of olive oil, garlic powder, oregano and parsley until well combined; set aside.

Preheat grill to 375 degrees F.  Clean and oil grill grates or use a grill pan meant for the grill and spray with non stick spray.  Place the potatoes on the grill or grill pan and cook for 5-8 minutes or until golden brown.  Flip and continue to cook until all sides are golden brown.  Carefully remove and place in a bowl to cool for 5-10 minutes.  Once cooled a bit, add the cucumber slices and carefully stir in the mayo mixture.  Season with salt and pepper and serve.  Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Chorizo and Shrimp Pasta
Two Years Ago:  Grilled Pineapple Pound Cake Delight
Three Years Ago:  Spaghetti with Hot Italian Sausage
 

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful salad Jenn... I think they look so refreshing.
Hopefully the internet problem will be sorted soon. And enjoy the rain!

Cranberry Morning said...

I responded the same way! The first time I read it, I'm like 'huh?' and then it made perfect, delicious sense. I can't wait to try this. I've never grilled potatoes, and I'll do it on the charcoal grill, placing them on that little heavy screen thingy. Thanks, Jenn. I'm pinning this.

Unknown said...

well, even though im always complaining about our cold and rainy weather it hasn't rained in the UK for about 3 weeks and we could really do with some of that right now... GORGEOUS salad... exactly what you need in the heat... xx

Pam said...

I personally love rain - one of the many reason's I live in Oregon. The cucumber and potato salad look and sound super tasty.

Big Dude said...

When I read the title my first thought was huh? Now that I've seen the photo and read the recipe, I've changed to huh? :-)

Anonymous said...

I honestly can't stand how incredible this looks!
Mary x

StephenC said...

If I can do this on my stove top grill it will definitely be worth a try.

Lea Ann said...

Well, that's what I said "potatoes and cucumbers?" After reading the ingredients, I'd love to try this. Pinned.

Chris said...

Yeah...we are 18 inches over normal this year so far so.....

This is twisted, the cucumber sounds so odd in there but it could be good. Am I brave enough to try it though?