Search This Blog

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Tilapia Oreganata

Happy Earth Day everyone!  I didn't plan any special posts for the day...all I'm asking is that you be as green as possible today (and every day for that matter).  I'm at least sharing a nice fresh, sorta green recipe!!  :)

Oreganta, what a strange little word.  And let me tell you, it was not easy trying to find what exactly that word meant either.  I looked everywhere I knew where to look for an actual definition.  Finally, after chatting with my pal Stephen over at The Obsessive Chef about the word, he sends me an email with this:  "A classic Italian antipasti, the oreganata topping consists of breadcrumbs, garlic, and lots of fresh oregano. It's a savory and scrumptious way to enjoy clams on the half shell."  (Thanks Stephen!!)  The topping.. that's what I thought it was about, but believe me, this was not an easy answer to come up with!

 

So, now I know a little more about the dish and feel a lot better about sharing it with you too!  The fish was fantastic!  It's very light and fresh tasting....and don't forget healthy!!  I didn't get the greatest pictures of it...if you want to see what looks like when you take a your camera takes a great picture of it, check out  Aggie's Kitchen, her picture does it much better justice.

Tilapia Oreganata
Ingredients:
4 tilapia or other white fish fillets
2 Tablespoons olive oil
3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs (you can use regular breadcrumbs)
1/4 cup chopped parsley, loosely packed
3 Tablespoons lemon juice
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano (I did not have fresh..but please, use it if you have it)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.

Combine all the ingredients except the fish in a bowl.  Place the fish in the baking dish and press an equal amount of the bread crumb mixture on top of each fillet.

Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the fish flakes easily with a fork.  Enjoy!

(By the way... I don't know where I actually found the original recipe that I have adapted here...so I'm sorry to whoever I took it from about 2 years ago, I wrote down the ingredients, I just didn't write down the source...my bad!)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks so yummy! I'll have to try it. Thank you!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Someday I'll actually get brave again & buy fish and make this. It looks really good Jenn!!

Siri said...

This looks soooooo good. Always looking for creative fish dishes. Thank you!

Sook said...

Oh what a lovely way to cook tilapia. I love fish and I am so glad that you posted this recipe. :)

Stephen C said...

Ah, at last the oreganata. This sounds great and we are due to have some fish very soon.

I'm going to do a post later today regarding meatloaf techniques - made one last night out of disparate stuff from the fridge and freezer. Stay tuned.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to try this tonight with halibut! Can't wait! Thanks for all the yummy fish recipes.