Search This Blog

Monday, January 17, 2011

Chorizo and Rice Casserole

I love chorizo.  I may have mentioned this little fact before.  In case I haven't, let me reiterate...I LOVE chorizo!  When I saw a posting for Chorizo and Rice Dressing on Nibble Me This, I got an idea.  Oh, yes, that would be a fine dressing or stuffing, but I'm not in the mood to stuff anything....so what's a girl to do?  Well, this girl just adapted it into a casserole and/or lovely side dish.  It was spicy, it was light, it was perfect!  Now, don't get too hung up on the ingredients...if you don't want to use a jalapeno, leave it out.  If you want it to be even spicier, add a Serrano pepper.  My point is (and I've forgotten to remind you all of this lately) create what works best for your tastes!  Build the dish to your liking...it's your canvas remember??  Now paint away!!

Chorizo and Rice Casserole
Adapted from Chris at Nibble Me This
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 jalapeno pepper, stem removed, seeded, and chopped
1 red bell pepper, stem removed, seeded, and chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
Salt and Pepper
1/2 lb Mexican Chorizo (the bulk stuff, not the already cooked kind...like ground beef looking)
3 cups cooked rice
3 green onions, chopped
2 Tablespoons sour cream

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375.  Spray a small baking dish with non-stick spray.

In a non stick skillet, over medium heat, add the olive oil.  Add the jalapeno and red pepper and let cook about 3 minutes; season with salt and pepper.  Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.  Now add the chorizo, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, and cook until cooked through, about 3-5 minutes.  Remove from heat and toss with rice.  Stir in sour cream.  Pour into prepared pan and place in oven.  Let cook 10 minutes...just until everything is nice and warm! Enjoy!


9 comments:

Nicole said...

that sounds amazing. then again...anything with chorizo sounds amazing!

Unknown said...

I swear to you I just was walking by the meat counter admiring the chorizo...this goes on my list for dinners.

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking said...

Mmm, what a delicious breakfast or dinner dish, Jenn! This is a great recipe. Thanks for sharing. I hope you had a nice weekend! I have to get my hands on some chorizo and try this soon!

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Love chorizo and I don't know why I'm so damn hungry as I just ate but man on man would I like a big bowl of that right now!!!

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Cranberry Morning said...

This looks delicious - and I've never had chorizo - ever! Time to branch out. :-)

Unknown said...

What a gorgeous looking casserole. I love chorizo too and for me, I must keep the jalapeno. Love the heat.

Unknown said...

Jenn I made this last night and we really enjoyed it. I added in a can of rinsed black beans and topped it with Cojita & sourcream. Lovely

Unknown said...

Jennifurla...thanks so much for letting me know! Always good for others to see that other people enjoyed it...AND that you added your own twist to it.. I LOVE that!! Cojita is the bomb!!!

Chris said...

Yours looks way better than mine! Makes a great burrito filling too. Nice job Jenn.