Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Bourbon Chicken


I know what you are thinking, BOURBON?  Well, fear not, this recipe actually does not have bourbon in it.  So why the name?  Well, originally, this recipe was created with bourbon as an ingredient.  I just happen to have stumbled across a recipe that did not call for it.  If you check Wikipedia, it also says that this dish was named after Bourbon Street in New Orleans, which I find very interesting since I assumed this was more of a Chinese dish.  Either way, we both loved this. The sauce was sweet and a tiny bit spicy...my favorite combination.  I served it over plain white rice and with a side salad.  If you wanted to add some veggies to the dish, I would recommend red peppers, snow peas, mushrooms, zucchini or even broccoli.

Bourbon Chicken
Original recipe by Blog Chef 
Ingredients:
2lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
oil (for frying)
cornstarch (for dusting, optional)
Sauce-
1 garlic clove (minced)
1/4 teaspoon ginger

3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup apple juice
1/3 cup light brown sugar
2 tablespoon ketchup
1 tablespoon cider vinegar

1/2 cup water
1/3 cup soy sauce

Directions:
Cut chicken breasts into bit sized pieces, and if you choose lightly dust with cornstarch. Heat oil in your wok and fry chicken bits in batches until lightly browned. Drain on paper towels and set aside.

In a bowl combine all sauce ingredients. Pour into wok and bring to a boil. Add chicken bits back to the pan, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes (I only let it simmer for 5 minutes).  Enjoy!

***I only used 1 lbs of chicken, so I cut all other ingredient amounts in half.  It was enough to feed Chris and I with no leftovers.*** 

No comments: