Search This Blog

Friday, August 13, 2010

Mini Meatball Subs

The universe wanted me to make meatballs.  I saw signs everywhere.  I saw Tyler Florence make his ultimate meatballs, I saw a show on The Cooking Channel that highlighted The Meatball Shop in New York, and of course the numerous blogs that have posted meatball recipes as of late.  Every time I saw one, I thought to myself...it really has been a long time since I made some meatballs....so to resolve that, I chose to make them, but not in the way I normally would.  For me, there really is nothing better then a big old plate of spaghetti and meatballs...BUT...my second favorite way to eat meatballs, is between two pieces of bread!  Now, I will say, I am picky about my meatball sandwiches.  I don't like really big meatballs....big meatballs mean big mess...big meatballs mean I'm bound to take a bite and have half of them squirt right out the bottom of the sandwich.  I like a manageable size meatball... like a one biter, two if you must.  Not that I wouldn't eat a big meatball sandwich, I'm just saying smaller is my preference.  And that, my friends, is how I came up with the name...MINI meatball subs!

Ok, now that we are all square on the size I like my balls (lol, oh come on, for those of you that truly know me, you aren't shocked by this statement at all... remember, I still giggle every time they say Super Duty on the Ford commercial!!)...  You know what, never mind, maybe I should just share the recipe :)

This recipe makes about 40 (3/4 to 1-inch diameter) smaller meatballs, but, really, go ahead and make them any size you want.  We had plenty for 3 sandwiches that night, 1 sandwich the next day, and still enough left to throw over one serving of pasta.

Mini Meatball Subs
makes about 40 - 3/4" to 1" meatballs
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
For the meatballs:
1 lbs. ground sirloin
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup bread crumbs, plain or seasoned - your choice
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 Tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt

For the subs:
Marinara sauce - store bought or homemade (see below for a speedy homemade sauce)
4 deli rolls (I like to toast mine, they get less soggy from the sauce that way)
Shredded mozzarella cheese (how much depends on how cheesy you want your sub)

Directions:
In a large bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the meatballs.  I like to use my hands for this...it's the easiest way to get everything incorporated.  Form into whatever size meatballs you prefer - Just remember, the bigger the meatball, the longer they will take to cook - and place in a shallow baking dish; do not crowd.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  In a saucepan, over medium low, heat the marinara sauce.

Place meatballs in oven and bake for 20-30 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through.  You can under cook them just a bit because they will continue to cook in the sauce.  Remove from oven and add to saucepan with sauce in it.  Let them simmer for another 5-10 minutes.

Place the cooked meatballs and however much sauce you would like on the sub rolls.  Cover with mozzarella cheese....and devour!!

Simple Sauce:
Ingredients:
2 teaspoons olive oil
2-3 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
15-20 leaves of fresh basil, chopped

Directions:
In a large saucepan or deep skillet, over medium heat, add the olive oil and garlic.  Let the garlic saute for 1-2 minutes (make sure it does not burn).  Add the crushed tomatoes and stir.  Season with salt, pepper, sugar, oregano, and red pepper flakes.  Allow to simmer for 20 minutes.  Add the basil and simmer another 5 minutes.  Now it's ready for the meatballs!!


11 comments:

Cranberry Morning said...

I haven't made meatballs for ages! These look great - and wouldn't it make my hubby happy!! :-) Thanks for the reminder - and recipe.

Yenta Mary said...

When the universe speaks, we need to listen ... especially when it sends such profound messages as "Eat meatballs!!!" What a luscious sandwich ... a weekend meal at my house, perhaps???

Jean at The Delightful Repast said...

I make my meatballs mini, too. If the outside of something is the tastiest part, why not make more "outside" and less "inside"?

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

MMMMMmmmm, mmmmeatballs!

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhatsfordinner.com

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

We love us some meatballs here and I haven't made them in forever!! Maybe I'll make them for dinner tonight :) That would make everyone happy! thanks for the sauce recipe too, I seem to have issues making a decent tomato sauce so I'll try following your recipe (oh no I'm gonna follow a recipe? LOL don't count on it). They look really good Jenn. Oh and I totally agree on the size, they need to be small so you maximize the yummy outsides :)

Angie's Recipes said...

I very often make the meatballs for my husband. This would be a right weekend meal for him too.

StephenC said...

Did you ever see Rachel Ray's version of meatballs with spaghetti mixed right into the meat? Sounds like it would be perfect for you.

Mary Bergfeld said...

This looks so good. I'm up to my ears in company food and would love a good meatball sandwich right now. Yours looks and sounds delicious. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

Fiona Designs said...

Your recipes look awesome! I can't wait to try some. I found your blog through TTA and am happy to be a new follower.

Would love for you to follow me back at:

http://fionadesigns.blogspot.com/

Fiona

Pam said...

Yummmy! I love meatballs and that sub is making me drool. What I really like is that you toasted it first so now I will be doing that. That is one fine looking sandwich to try!

Those fish tacos look good below too and I'll have to give them a try as my DIL says they're the best. I've never had one but it sounds pretty good.

Chef Dennis Littley said...

The Universe gets what the universe wants, and I;m glad it did!! Your meatballs look delicious, and that is certainly my favorite way to eat them!