Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Chorizo and Shrimp Pasta

Just the other day I was complaining about the excessive heat we have been experiencing.  Had I just waiting a few more days, I would have actually not had a thing to complain about.  This weekend was so lovely - spotted with thunderstorms and cooler temperatures (at one point on Saturday night I saw it was 75 degrees!!!) - I feel sort of bad about spewing my displeasure about how miserable it has been.  But only sort of.. it's July, I live in the desert, I have lived here for enough years now to know to enjoy it while you can...the break doesn't last :)

Well, enough about the weather, let's talk food!  I love it when one ingredient in a dish has enough flavor in it to carry the entire dish.  No extra spices, no extra ingredients... just everything in it's finest, purest form.  That is what a good chorizo can bring to any dish!

Chorizo and Shrimp Pasta
Created by Jenn's Food Journey
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
10-12oz penne pasta
1/2 lbs ground Mexican chorizo
12 medium raw shrimp, peeled, deveined and tails removed
1/4 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
20 cherubs or cherry tomatoes, halved
2 oz goat cheese
fresh basil leaves (optional)

Directions:
Cook pasta according to package directions.  Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta water; set aside.

In a skillet over medium heat, add the chorizo.  Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add the shrimp and roasted red peppers and cook another 3 minutes.  Stir in the tomatoes and cook another 2-3 minutes, or until the shrimp is pink and cooked through.  Remove from heat and stir in the goat cheese until it has melted.  Pour in the cooked pasta and toss to combine.  Stir in reserved pasta water if needed to thin everything out.  Serve immediately and enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Grilled Pineapple Pound Cake Delight
Two Years Ago:  Spaghetti with Hot Italian Sausage

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I’m putting it on the menu next week!

Big Dude said...

You are absolutely killing me with these chorizo dishes and I would never have thought to combine it with shrimp - very creative.

Angie's Recipes said...

I wish I had some chorizo, so I could make this RIGHT NOW. Looks so delicious!

StephenC said...

I wonder how soon I can get to my Mexican market for some good chorizo. Shrimp, chorizo, pasta, what's not to like.

Mary said...

This looks great, Jenn. I never would have thought to pair shrimp with chorizo, but I bet it was delicious!

Cranberry Morning said...

Everything about this looks fantastic, Jenn...except for chorizo and shrimp. I'm sorry, I'm such a pill. But it DOES look delicious, and you know I just can't get into shrimp or chorizo. But everything else about it looks like dinner to me.

Pam said...

I wish I was having this for lunch right now!

Yenta Mary said...

And once again, I'm coveting the prized chorizo!!! And the pasta! And those 75-degree temperatures (it's expected to hit 110 here today - I'm not kidding!). Sigh ... :)

Pam said...

Sounds pretty good to me and I need some chorizo, shrimp's in the freezer. Lucky you with the cooler weather! We're not used to this 100 degree stuff with hot nights. I think the weather man got it mixed up. This is your kind of weather!

Lea Ann (Cooking on the Ranch) said...

What an interesting combination in a delicious sort of way. Great dish Jenn. We've cooled down a tad also. At least we can sit on the back deck in the evening.

Chris said...

That looks "powerful good"! Excellent composition for this dish, Jenn.