Search This Blog

Friday, May 28, 2010

White Chocolate Chip Cookies with (optional) Key Lime Glaze

I was browsing blogs the other day, when I stumbled across these yummy looking Key Lime Cookies with White Chocolate on Andrea The Kitchen Witch's site.  They looked incredible!  The one problem.. they had coconut in them and I'm just not a fan of coconut.  There's something with the gritty texture of the coconut that I just can't get past.  So, I thought to myself...well just leave the coconut out!  Key lime and white chocolate chip cookies.. YUM...doesn't that sound good?  Well when I asked Chris that same question, I got this look.....you know the look...the look like "I wanna smile and shake my head yes, but that doesn't sound as good as you think it sounds" look :)  Ok, so that's not going to be the biggest hit in the house...well then, how can I accommodate his tastes with my wants?  Again, I stumbled across a cookie recipe that caught my eye:  Triple lemon cookies from Michelle at All Home Cooking. All Year long.  Instantly, I had a plan.  How about making white chocolate chip cookies, THEN, save half for Chris as is and with the other half, I could drizzle them with a key lime glaze!! YES!!  That will work perfect!  And it did too!  Chris was very content with just plain white chocolate chip cookies and I got to savor the same cookies, but with a tart kick.  The key lime glaze just ads this pungent, yet wonderfully fresh taste to the cookies.  It's like summer in your mouth... well, maybe not, but still.. they are delicious!

White Chocolate Chip Cookies with Key Lime Glaze
Inspired by Andrea The Kitchen Witch and Michelle at All Home Cooking. All Year Long.
Ingredients:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted, cooled
1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup white chocolate chips
For Glaze:
powdered sugar
key lime juice
milk
Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

In one bowl, whisk together melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until smooth. Whisk in eggs one at a time. Whisk in vanilla.

In a separate bowl sift flour, baking soda and salt.  Slowly whisk flour mixture into sugar mixture.  Fold in white chocolate chips.

Shape dough into walnut size balls and place on cookie sheet.  Bake for 8-10 minutes or until lightly golden brown on the edges.  Let cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes then move to a wire rack to continue to cool.

To make glaze:  (I didn't do exact measurements, so I can't put them here, sorry, it's really going to be all in how much tartness you want in your glaze).  Scoop powdered sugar (start with at least 1/4 cup) into a small bowl, add the juice of one key lime to begin with.  If mixture is too tart or not thin enough, add a bit of milk.  Add more key lime juice if you want it more tart.  Glaze cookies with as much or as little as you want.  ENJOY!

3 comments:

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Beautiful! I love the glaze idea!! Frosted cookies are so good, I should have done them like this so the Little Witch would have eaten them too. Great idea Jenn! Thanks for the shout out, too :)

Sook said...

Such a great idea! I would like to taste that frosting on the cookies! Yum!

Michelle said...

thanks for the reference. :) I've been thinking a lot about my triple lemon cookies lately. We have plans to visit the Keys this summer, where I can bring home a plethora of fresh Key limes. I would love to try some key lime cookies! And with white chocolate to boot! YUM.