Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Grilled Chicken & Veggie Pasta

I came up with this recipe last year when I was on my grill kick.  It was simple and delicious.  As you know, I'm a huge fan of pasta....and I love to grill.... so the two combined....well, try it, I know you will like it!  You can use any vegetables you want, actually.  And if you didn't have access to a grill, you could easily roast the veggies in the oven or even just saute them in a skillet.  This is another "canvas" recipe.  I'm giving it to you and if there are things you don't like, or don't have, change it, I promise I will not be upset or offended!  I used fresh rosemary and basil because I had it on hand.  If I had fresh oregano or thyme, I would have used those instead.  (Using dried herbs would work just find too!)  You don't even need to add the chicken if you didn't want to.  Heck, you could even use a different kind of pasta!  So, see, just a canvas for you to create on!


Grilled Chicken & Veggie Pasta
Ingredients:
1 lb. angle hair pasta
1 red bell pepper, stemmed and seeded
1 yellow bell pepper, stemmed and seeded
1 zucchini squash, ends removed and cut in half length wise
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
salt and pepper
6 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3-4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
1 Tablespoon each fresh rosemary, parsley, & basil - chopped
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 lemon, zested and juiced
shredded parmesan cheese

Directions:
Preheat your grill.  Place garlic cloves in a foil packet and drizzle with a little olive oil; seal the packet and place on the top rack of your grill.  Allow the garlic to roast for about 5-10 minutes, or until the cloves are just softened.  Carefully remove from skin and mince finely.

Place the peppers and zucchini on the grill (you can brush with a little olive oil if you want and don't forget to sprinkle with salt and pepper).  Let them cook a few minutes or until just starting to soften, turning at least once.  Remove from the grill and allow to cool just a bit before cutting the peppers into strips and the zucchini into half moons.

Drizzle the chicken with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper.  Place the chicken on the grill and cook 5-8 minutes on each side or until chicken is not longer pink in the middle.  Remove from grill and let sit 3 minutes before cutting into strips or chunks.

Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package.  Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water; drain the rest.

Add the olive oil, garlic, peppers, zucchini, and chicken to the drained pasta; toss to combine.  Add the zest and juice of the lemon, red pepper flakes; toss to combine.  If the pasta is too dry, add a little of the reserved water.  Now add the fresh herbs and toss one more time to combine.  Top with parmesan cheese and serve!

3 comments:

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

I love these kinds of dishes. We seem to have them often around here too. This looks so good, like spring time on a plate :)

Stephen C said...

It's hard to think of grilling when we just had snow overnight (only a dusting, but still...). Nice dish!

Sook said...

I love adding zucchini to my pasta too. The pasta looks delicious!