Search This Blog

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Tilapia in Olive Oil & Garlic

I have not had the best of luck with fish recipes lately.  They have been hit or miss and mostly misses.  One night I couldn't get a good picture of the dish I made, another night it just wasn't really appetizing, another night it was just nothing special....oh wait, that's what this one was.  Unfortunately, this fish was nothing special..I can say that because it's a recipe I created...BUT that does not mean it wasn't good.  It was good, it just wasn't...well, it wasn't anything to "write home about".  If you make it, though, you CAN make it better!!  I think if you let the fish soak in the oil and garlic a longer period of time, the flavor might be better.  It's not bad though, it just lacked in that old flavor department.  I think adding a little lemon would help "kick it up a notch", as Emeril would say.  I added those changes to the recipe I'm posting.  

Regarding the lemon:  You can squeeze the juice on each fillet OR (and this is my recommended way) you can slice it and lay the slices on top of each fillet.  You can easily cook this fish in the oven or on the grill.  I love the grill, so that's how I wrote the recipe...but if you want to use your oven, preheat it to 400 and bake 12-15 minutes.  (Before you do that though, you'll want to put the fillets in a Ziploc bag, pour the olive oil and garlic over and let marinate for 30min-1hour.)

Tilapia in Olive Oil & Garlic
Ingredients:
4 Tilapia fillets
4 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
8 teaspoons olive oil
salt & pepper
Italian Herb Seasoning
1 lemon, sliced into 4 or 8 slices

Directions:
Tear off 4 squares of foil large enough to make a packet around each fillet.  Spray with non stick cooking spray.  Sprinkle both sides of the fish with salt and pepper.  Place one fillet on each square of foil.  Drizzle each fillet with 2 teaspoons of olive oil and one minced or pressed garlic clove.  Sprinkle with Italian Herb seasoning.  Lay the lemon wedges on top of each fillet and seal foil into packet.  Let marinate at least 30-45 minutes in the refrigerator.

Preheat grill to 350 degrees.  Place the foil packets on the grill and cook 12-14 minutes, turning once.  Be careful removing the fish from the grill and from the foil packet.  Serve with tarter sauce or lemon aioli. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Stephen C said...

Hail the Queen of Tilapia!