Search This Blog

Monday, August 26, 2013

Grilled Steak Sandwiches with Goat Cheese Mayo

For those of you that do not know, I am a HUGE Shaun of the Dead fan.  I have seen the movie more times than I care go admit.... Okay, in fact, I would tell you exactly how many times, had the number not been so incredibly high that I can't even remember anymore :)  Well, if you too are a SotD fan, than you know that the third movie in Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg's Cornetto Trilogy came out on Friday.  That's right.. the much anticipated The World's End finally hit the box office in the US.  I, of course, went to see it Friday morning... there was no way I was waiting any longer!!  What did I think?  Don't worry, I'm not giving anything away, but I will say this.  I wanted more.  BUT, with that said, I laughed and had a great time with the movie and was not at all disappointed that I took a day off of work to see it :)  If you have seen both Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, you definitely have to see this one.....   and I promise, that is all I will say.....   for now!!

As for this sandwich - I mean, what else needs to be said that the name doesn't already say for itself?  Goat cheese mayo makes this already delicious sandwich a definite must try!!

Grilled Steak Sandwiches with Goat Cheese Mayo
Created by Jenn's Food Journey
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1/2 cup beer (I used Bud Light)
1 Tablespoon Sambal Oelek (ground chili paste)
1 Tablespoon Sriracha
dash of Worcestershire sauce
1 lbs. steak (I used petite sirloin)
lettuce leaves
cucumber slices/tomato slices
steak rolls or hoagie buns
For the mayo -
1/4 cup mayonnaise
3 Tablespoons crumbled goat cheese
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
dash of garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon dried dill
salt and white pepper, to taste

Directions:
Mix together the beer, Sambal Oelek, Sriracha and Worcestershire until well combined.  Place the steak in resealable plastic bag and pour the marinade over.  Seal and place in refrigerator for at least 4 hours and up to 24.

To make the mayo - mix together all the ingredients in a small bowl.  Season with salt and white pepper to taste.  Cover and store in refrigerator until ready to use.  Can be made up to two days in advance.

Preheat grill to 400 degrees F.  Clean and oil grill grates.  Remove steaks from the bag and discard marinade.  Place the steaks over direct heat and grill 4-9 minutes per side or until the steak is done to your liking.  Remove steak from grill and allow to rest for 8-10 minutes before thinly slicing against the grain.

To build the sandwich:  (I like to toast my bun on the grill.. about 2 minutes per side)   Slather mayo on both cut sides of the rolls.  Top with lettuce and cucumber (tomato if you are using).  Top with steak slices and serve.  Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Grilled Hawaiian Pizza
Two Years Ago:  Chicken in Satay Sauce
Three Years Ago:  Grilled Parmesan Chicken

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I will admit that I have not seen Shaun of the Dead yet :(
Steak sandwich and goat cheese mayo? oh yes please! Just saying it makes my mouth waters... Looks fab Jenn.

Unknown said...

I love that you love those films. They're so very British I think and it's nice they were so well received across the world. Shamefully I haven't seen Worlds End yet but we plan to go this week. Did you ever watch the TV show Spaced where they all started? It's brilliant. Love your steak sandwich. Gorgeous stuff xx

Big Dude said...

That is one great looking sandwich especially the way you placed the meat in it.

Pam said...

I've never seen that movie - I'll have to check it out. Btw, I just saw a new trailer for Walking Dead - it looks awesome!

The sandwich looks mouthwatering good Jenn!

Velva said...

Great looking and tasty sandwich. Now, I have to Google "Shaun of the Dead"...

Velva

Mary Bergfeld said...

I've never seen the movie but that can be corrected! Your sandwich looks mighty eatable (new word I've created). Have a great day, Jenn.Blessings...Mary

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Goat cheese makes everything taste better.

Lea Ann (Cooking On The Ranch) said...

My gosh, what a great sounding sandwich with a great line up of flavors. Nice photo of the sandwich Jenn. My sandwich photography needs help. :)

Chris said...

So would you rate it more of a Paul then?

Guess what....only 1 more month until Walking Dead returns!