Search This Blog

Monday, April 30, 2012

Horseradish Crusted Steak Roulade

I saw this recipe a while back and thought that I would try it - but like most recipe I want to try, it got pushed back each time something else came along.  I decided to make this right before our big heat wave (sorry it took so long to post) because I knew once the summer hit, I was not going to want to use the oven for this.  Not only am I sorry it took so long to post, but I'm sorry it took me so long to make this.  The Roulade was DEEEE-licious!!!  Now, I did not cook the peppers that went into the filling first, but you could certainly do that.  I actually liked the little crunch that it still had after the Roulade was done - it gave it great texture.  And, the great thing about this dish, you can fill it with just about anything you desire.  And, if you don't like horseradish, leave it out, the topping would still be fantastic!

Horseradish Crusted Steak Roulade
Adapted from The Food Network Magazine
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1/2 red pepper, finely diced
1 garlic clove, mashed and minced
1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 lbs boneless, thin cut sirloin tip
1 teaspoon olive oil
For the crust -
1/4 cup panko
2 Tablespoons plain breadcrumbs
1 Tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
1 Tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
1 Tablespoon horseradish, drained
1-2 teaspoons olive oil
salt and pepper

Directions:
In a bowl, mix together the red pepper, garlic, parsley and feta cheese.  Spread the steak out - pound them down to about 1/4 inch if they are not already that thin - on a cutting board and season with salt and pepper.  Spread the mixture evenly over each piece of steak, leaving about a 1-inch boarder all around.  Roll the meat away from you into a tight cylinder, tucking in the filling as you go.  Secure with toothpicks or twine.

To make the crust - mix all ingredients together until well combined.  Season with salt and pepper; set aside.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.  In an oven proof skillet, over medium heat, add the oil.  Carefully place each roulade into skillet and quickly brown each side, about 2 minutes per side.  Remove  skillet from heat and top the roulade with the crust - pressing down to ensure it sticks.  Place in oven and continue to bake until the center registers about 130 degrees for medium rare, about 10-15 minutes.  Remove from oven and transfer to a cutting board and allow to rest for at least 5 minutes.  Serve and enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Penne with Tuna and Roasted Garlic and Red Pepper Sauce
Two Years Ago:  Hudson's Baked (or Grilled) Fish with Dill Sauce

12 comments:

Yenta Mary said...

What fabulous flavors! And it's gorgeous - you could serve that for a dinner party or at the fanciest restaurant!!!

Cranberry Morning said...

Are you kidding? There's someone out there who doesn't love horseradish?? It's the word 'horseradish' that caught my eye! LOVE that stuff - and this recipe sounds perfect - with its bit of zing and crunchiness.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

I tried to make a roulade once. It was like shoe leather. I've avoided it since then. (In retrospect I made it when I was a budding cook, who knew nothing about meat cuts, etc). Maybe I should try it again :) I love the flavors in this, horseradish is GOOD stuff!!

StephenC said...

And guess who just bought horseradish last week. With my recent troubles we have amassed an awful lot of leftovers. We'll need to work on them before moving on to other things.

Unknown said...

Looks utterly scrumptious Jenn. I love horseradish so this is just right up my street. It's almost midnight here in Jakarta and I am drooling. Damn jet lag!

Suzie said...

Love horseradish. This looks so great, a good dish for when guests are over...mmm!

Pam said...

Now that is my kind of steak dinner... it looks awesome Jenn!

Tricia @ saving room for dessert said...

I've been thinking about horseradish all day. Love the combination of flavors.

Mary Bergfeld said...

This looks wonderful, Jenn. I'll bet this awesome. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Lea Ann said...

Everything about the title of this recipe got my attention. I agree about the "crunch". This is a must try.

Chris said...

It has been forever since I have done a roulade and this one makes me kick myself for not doing one lately! Looks delicious.

Desi said...

Oh my yum yum! I've never made a roulade... maybe it needs to go on the bucket list. Yours looks amazing. I love horseradish so I'm all about that! I'd probably cook the peppers though. Scrumdiddlyumptious!