Search This Blog

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Crunchy Wasabi Crusted Tilapia with Wasabi Soy Sauce

I don't know if I've ever said this, but I am a HUGE sushi fan.  I seriously could eat that and mac and cheese for the rest of my life and not crave another thing. (ok, I'd have to include chocolate in there too) I have, however, met a man who does not like it at all, so I don't frequently go out for it.  One of the things I love the most about sushi...the wasabi.  Crazy, probably, but I love that spicy little bite it brings to the meal.  That really strong, eye watering split second of heat is invigorating.  It just adds something to the whole sushi experience.

What better way to bring that home in a way both Chris and I could enjoy, than with our beloved tilapia.  And with the added wasabi soy sauce to compliment it, it was hard not to close my eyes and pretend I was enjoying a rainbow roll!

Crunchy Wasabi Crusted Tilapia with Wasabi Soy Sauce
Created by Jenn's Food Journey
- Serves 2 -
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
2 large tilapia fillets
2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
1 1/2 teaspoons wasabi paste
1/4 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
For the sauce -
2 teaspoons wasabi paste
3 Tablespoons low sodium soy sauce

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.   Spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.  Rinse fish and pat dry.  Place in prepared baking dish.  In a small bowl, mix together the mayo and 1 1/2 teaspoon wasabi paste until well combined.  Spread the mixture evenly over the top of each piece of fish.  Sprinkle with panko.  Place in oven and bake 12-15 minutes or until the fish flakes evenly with a fork.

While the fish is baking, make the sauce:  In a small, shallow dish, add the wasabi paste.  Slowly stir in the soy sauce until well combined.  Serve along side fish.  Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Fettuccine Alfredo with Grilled Chicken and Shrimp
Two Years Ago:  Beef Rigatoni in an Intensely Tomato-y Cream Sauce 

8 comments:

Becki's Whole Life said...

I love to see wasabi used like this. Sounds great and spicy!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Nice use of the wasabi Jenn! I agree the spicy hit of horseradish is always delightful. I'm sure this fish was tasty as all get out. YUM!

Pam said...

My husband and I were just talking about how tasty wasabi is... he will love this recipe!

Yenta Mary said...

You can have my share of the sushi, I'll help myself to your share of this fabulous tilapia!

Mary said...

Oh, man, Sean would be drooling over this idea. Why did it never occur to me that I could buy him some of the wasabi that he loves so much? I just assumed that it was a "restaurant" thing. I just added it to my Asian market list for this weekend. Thanks!!

Pam said...

Wasabi perfection! Way to go, Jenn and I hope the next time I get a dinner invite!

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

The flavors of this remind me of a crab roll at Sushi Roku in Santa Monica that I have dreams about. And once again we have more in common. I crave sushi, veggies, cheese, and the occasional (okay once/twice a week) steak or burger while my hubby could never eat sushi again and be beyond happy with that. We have to meet. It's just too weird. And awesome.

Lea Ann said...

I'm with you on that wasabi. I love to spread a little bit of it on a chunk of sushi and then top it with a sliver of ginger and the flavor is exquisite. I'm really liking this recipe, thanks for posting it.