Search This Blog

Friday, March 11, 2011

Guest Blogger: Creamy Avocado Pasta

Yesterday I told you that I was going to start showcasing some guest bloggers on the Friday's I am over at Our Krazy Kitchen....and I did not lie!!  But first... don't forget to swing by Fire Day Friday and see what I've got cooking up over there.  All I'm gonna tell you is it involves beef and mustard.....yea, I know, you are curious now, aren't you???

Today I would like to introduce you to Katie, The College Culinarian.  I love Katie's site because I was once a college student myself.  And let me tell you, I was never this creative in the kitchen when I was a college student!  I love that she gets creative with minimal ingredients and on a very tight budget.  If you have not had a chance to see Katie's site, please, make it a point to go there today.  Katie shows you how to make gourmet type meals on a college students budget.  Not only is she handy in the kitchen, but she recently just announced that she would actually becoming the PhD Culinarian!!  (Big congratulations to you, Katie!!)  Now, FINALLY, without further ado...here's Katie:


College food is rife with bottled pasta sauces.  It's a quick meal after slaving for hours on term papers, chemistry labs, and um, more term papers.  Just boil some pasta and toss in the sauce---and presto! (or, perhaps more appropriately, Prego!) you've got dinner.

Yet, at least in my experience, the red sauce route often gets spurned by fatigued tastebuds.  Nothing against the Italians - I loves me some marinara - but Holy Cannoli, a creamy pasta sauce made out of avocados?  Yes, please.  I topped it with sprouts because you might as well go WH--Whole Hippie--when you're dealing with the superbly healthy avocado.

Oh, and in case you feel like pulling an early April Fool's joke, this sauce totally looks like pesto.  Use at will.

Creamy Avocado Pasta
Recipe from the kitchen of The College Culinarian
- Serves 1 -
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1/2 avocado
1/2 lemon, juice and zest
1/2 garlic clove, minced
Handful of chopped fresh parsley
1 t. extra virgin olive oil
Salt and Pepper
Fettuccine or Spaghetti
Sprouts (optional)

Directions:
Cook pasta in boiling, salted water until al dente.

Meanwhile, scoop out the avocado meat and roughly chop.  Add the avocado, garlic, parsley, olive oil, lemon juice, and some zest to a food processor.  Pulse until creamy.  Season with a dash or salt and pepper.  Toss with hot pasta and top with sprouts.

One Year Ago:  Bacon and Tomato Pasta (OMG This is the BOMB!!!)

16 comments:

Nicole said...

I'm always craving avocado...I'm gonna have to try this one!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

HI Katie, this sounds delicious! I love avocados, never thought about using their creamy goodness in pasta. YUM!! I'm off to check out your site now. Jenn thanks for sharing Katie with us all, this recipes sounds delicious!

StephenC said...

I will buy an avocado today, I will, I will.

Cranberry Morning said...

That looks just wonderful! Thanks for the recipe. :-)

Jean | Delightful Repast said...

Jenn and Katie, thanks! What's not to love about this gorgeous dish?! (Though I, of course, would cut way back on the garlic. Garlic is a difficult food allergy for a foodie to have!)

Pam said...

The sauce sounds fantastic!

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a wonderful way to dress pasta. This looks and sounds fantastic. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Katie said...

Thanks, Jenn! :)

Big Dude said...

It sounds very good

Chris said...

Sounds great and I bet the fats from the avocado make it so creamy good!

Angie's Recipes said...

Pasta with avocado...mmm..that sounds really delicious and healthy!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful recipe. Love avocado. I'll certainly be giving this a try soon. Thanks for introducing me to a new blogger. Enjoy your weekend.

Unknown said...

Love the ingredients!!!! Wonderful!

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a great dish. I love the ingredients that you have combined here. It was, by the way, wonderful to meet a new blogger. I'm heading over to check out her blog now. Have a great weekend. Blessings...Mary

Cheeseboy said...

There is nothing about this dish that I don't love. I'd love to try it.

Miley said...

Hello all,

The avocado is a mild-bland, oil-rich, nutrient-rich deliciously-flavoured food. This combination gives it an exceptionally diverse range of dietary advantages. The high fat content of most avocados will make some people dubious about its positive effects on weight control. Thanks a lot............

Nutrition Facts Avocado