Search This Blog

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Creamy Lime Guacamole Sauce - Fail....or did I???

This did not turn out the way I planned.  As you can see from the picture, I was trying to make a sauce that would go with my beloved Tilapia...but I didn't get there.  I went the wrong way, I should have just made this as a dip and never considered anything else.  I even wasted a bunch because I couldn't get the flavors where I wanted them to be.  The first batch I made was way too limey...the second batch...way too much like regular guacamole.  Chris said that it was still really good, but I guess I am a harsher critic.  And maybe it's not that I was being critical, maybe it was just that it did not end up coming together as I had imagined it.  As I just said, if I had made this as a dip for chips, or crackers, or veggies... it would have been spot on.  For fish...not so much.  I thought of this one the other day when I was trying to figure out how to use up some of the guacamole sent to me by the Wholly Guacamole Co.  I had an idea of how it would look, of how it would taste... and well, it didn't hit the mark.  BUT.. I wanted to post it anyway.  Maybe you will try it and like it.  Maybe you will think of a way to make it all that I had imagined.  Maybe you can make it and use it as a dip instead of a sauce for fish.  Maybe you'll just pass this one by...and that would be ok too!

So was it a failure?  In a way yes.  It was a failure as a sauce for fish...BUT...it would be a good change of pace to your standard guacamole if you used it as a dip.  Failed, yet not so much :)

Creamy Lime Guacamole Sauce
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
3 Tablespoons Wholly Guacamole, or fresh made guacamole
1 Tablespoon sour cream
2 teaspoons lime juice
cayenne pepper, to taste (optional)
salt, to taste
1 tsp milk

Directions:
In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients.  Stir until smooth.   Cover and refrigerate until ready for use.  (allow sauce/dip to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes before serving.  Serve as dip or sauce for chicken or fish.  Enjoy!

(In case you might be wondering, the tilapia was baked at 400 degrees for 12-14 minutes.  I seasoned it with pepper, garlic salt, and cayenne. Very simple!)

9 comments:

StephenC said...

What? You didn't grill the tilapia? I like the idea of this sauce. I think it might make a great condiment for sandwiches.

Cranberry Morning said...

Sounds to me like it turned out fine, like a good experiment. Sometimes our expectations get in the way and steer us to the wrong conclusion. I'll take a serving, please. :-)

Mary Bergfeld said...

It looks fine to me, but when you have expectations that are not met I can see how you might feel the attempt went awry. I'm much kinder to myself. Only that which is inedible is considered a failure :-). Have a great weekend. Blessings...Mary

Martha said...

I'm sure it was still delicious. I tend to always criticize my experiments too. My husband says I am forever saying it didn't turn out like it was suppose to. Hey, we are women, we know what we want!

Have a great weekend :-)

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

Oh hun I feel your pain. I have had some DUDS in the kitchen lately - between that and my crazy schedule I've been pretty sporadic in posting. Anyway - at least you figured out a yummy dip in the process! And the color sure is purdy!

Angie's Recipes said...

Eating some crackers now :-)) So that would be a great spread or dip for me.

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear the sauce did not turn out the way you wanted it to be. Looks fine to me though and I'm sure it was still delish.

megan @ whatmegansmaking said...

This sounds like it would be perfect as a veggie dip! I love stuff like that. I'm glad you posted it :)

Catherine said...

Well,I guess if you weren't happy with the results what can I say...although if you play around with the flavors and recipe and make it your own the next time it will be perfect, since you know what you didn't like about it. Blessings, Catherine xo