Search This Blog

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Crunchy Topped Tilapia with Po'Dunk Sauce

So the general idea for this fish recipe came from a post for crunchy pork chops on Pam's Midwest Kitchen Korner.  I loved her idea of using Melba toast as the crunchy part of the recipe!  The Po'Dunk sauce.. well that is a Nibble Me This creation... (you'll have to click on the link to find out why it's called Po'Dunk sauce)  I've doctored both up a bit, but obviously could not take full credit for this fantastic meal!  Simple, crunchy, delicious - yep, that pretty much sums it up!

Crunchy Topped Tilapia with Po'Dunk Sauce
Adapted from Pam and Chris
Ingredients:
4 tilapia fillets
16 pieces roasted garlic Mela snacks
2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
For the sauce -
5 Tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
2 teaspoons Cholula hot sauce (I used original - Chris used Chipotle)
1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions:
In a small bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the po'dunk sauce.  Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.  Rinse the tilapia fillets and pat dry; place in prepared dish.  In a food processor, add the Melba snacks; pulse until finely (or roughly, whichever way you want) chopped.  Mix together the 2 tablespoons mayo, Dijon mustard and lemon juice.  Spread evenly over each piece of fish.  Top evenly with chopped up Melba snacks.  Bake 15-20 minutes or until the fish flakes easily with a fork and the top is golden brown.  Serve with po'dunk sauce.  Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Spicy Crab Cakes with Lemon Aioli
Two Years Ago:  Creamy Italian Sausage Pasta

10 comments:

Becki's Whole Life said...

This fish sounds great with a nice crunchy topping but I really love that sauce - oh yum!

Yenta Mary said...

Melba toast - never thought of it! As always, you make simple fish look delicious and tempting ... :)

Mary Bergfeld said...

This sounds wonderful and I always love your fish recipes. This would be a hit at my table. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

I haven't seen or heard about melba toast in ages! Looks crunchy and yummy!

Angie's Recipes said...

I love the melba toast as the crust! Looks delish!

Big Dude said...

great looking dish Jenn and I'm going to have to try Chris' sauce - I have it bookmarked. I haven't had Melba Toast since I was a kid - so long ago, I'm surprised it's still made.

Pam said...

I love that you were inspired by a couple of recipes from great bloggers to make this delicious dish! It looks so tasty.

Candace said...

What a great coating for the fish! I would have never thought to use melba toast. And that sauce? Love me some Cholula...regular and chipotle! This looks delicious, Jenn.

Jean | Delightful Repast said...

Well, this one looks yummy too, but I'm going to try your latest first. You and I do like those zingy little mayonnaise sauces, don't we?! And I'm with you on the original Cholula. (PS I was able to access my dashboard and post today, only by downloading another browser, Google's own Chrome. Hope my readers don't have any trouble scrolling the post and commenting!)

Chris said...

Funny how Melba toast makes many of the commenters think "way back". Way back when I was a wee lad, I used to love snacking on Melba toast with hickory cheese spread, thinking it was "high class gourmet".