Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

BONUS: Super Bowl Count Down Extra!!

Chris and I thought it would be fun to add one more bonus recipe for my Super Bowl Count Down.  After going back and forth on what I should make, we decided...... LEEK RINGS! (Come on, did you really think I was going to mention them in such detail yesterday and then just leave you hanging?) I figured since we talked about leeks yesterday, this would be a great addition to my count down recipes!  Plus, if you don't use them as an appetizer for your Super Bowl party, you can always use them as a side dish for your next weekend meal.  We grilled hamburgers the night we had these, they were the perfect compliment!!

I have to admit something though, I cannot take credit for these yummy rings.  Chris took the helm on this one.  I helped him get everything together, but he coated the leeks and fried them.  We both will admit to you that he cooked them just a tad bit too long, so some were more on the burned side then others, but neither of us cared...they were so GOOD!!!   So I gotta say, Thank you so much my love.  I appreciate your help and know that you never can spend too much time in the kitchen with me!

If you are an onion ring fan, I HIGHLY recommend you trying this recipe.  Actually, I am VERY particular about my onion rings and I LOVE these tasty little bites!

Leek Rings
Recipe from Alton Brown 
Ingredients:
3 quarts oil (peanut, vegetable, or canola)
12 ounces leeks, cleaned and trimmed of dark green parts
1 1/2 cups milk
1 large egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus additional for seasoning

Directions:
Preheat the oil in a heavy 5-quart pot over medium-high heat to 375 degrees F. (We used our deep fryer)

Slice the leeks into 1/2-inch wide rings, separating them 2 layers at a time.

In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the milk and the egg. In another medium mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt. Divide the flour into 2 separate, shallow dishes and place the milk and egg mixture in a third. Going 1 small handful at a time, dip the rings first into the first flour mixture, then into the milk and egg, and then into the second flour mixture.

Working in batches, fry the rings for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove the rings to a cooling rack set inside a half sheet pan and allow to drain for 2 to 3 minutes before serving. Season with additional salt, if desired.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Boy those look GOOD!! They are officially on the list of things to try soon :)