Search This Blog

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Avocado Basil Pasta

Avocado, basil, and bacon... what more could you ask for in a pasta dish??  How about some tomato?

I knew I'd hook you sooner or later...  :)

This was a fantastic dish...my only regret is that I did not try this sooner.  This is one of those recipes that I sat on for years, actually, don't ask me why...  I think that I had assumed Chris would not like it because of the avocado, but when I finally asked him about it, he was all on board to try it out.  I think the bacon out weighed everything else, but hey, that's what bacon does sometimes!!

Avocado Basil Pasta
Adapted from Better Homes & Gardens 
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
12 oz whole grain penne pasta
1 avocado, chopped
1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
6 slices bacon, chopped, cooked crisp and drained
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 clover garlic, finely minced
1 can albacore tuna, drained
6 large fresh basil leaves, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
parmesan cheese - optional

Directions:
Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.

In a large bowl, combine the avocado, tomatoes, bacon, lemon juice, olive oil, and garlic.  Toss in the drained pasta.  Add the tuna and the basil and toss to combine.  Season with salt and pepper.  Sprinkle on parmesan cheese.  Serve warm.  Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Stuffed Pork Chops

7 comments:

Big Dude said...

It looks and sounds very good to me especially with the addition of the tuna

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Mmm its like a BLT pasta salad kinda. Yum! Avocado in pasta sounds like it'd be good - they're so nice & creamy I can see how the flavors would meld nicely. And its pretty to boot!

Mary said...

I'm not an avocado fan at all, but this actually sounds really great. I love the idea of a BLT pasta salad. ;)

Bo said...

I'm not a fan of tuna, but I guess chicken would work equally well.

Pam said...

Wow, wow, wow! What a fantastic combination of flavors and textures - it looks so tasty Jenn!

Desi said...

Like Bo, I would probably do chicken, or just let the avocado and bacon shine. Either way, avocado and bacon are two of my favorite things! Great recipe :)

Chris said...

Great set of flavors. I don't care if bacon was a bit over powering, that's a good problem to have like having too much money.