Search This Blog

Monday, August 22, 2011

Chorizo Chipotle Pasta

I know this might make anyone from my Italian heritage cringe, but, I must admit, I would rather have chorizo with my pasta than Italian sausage.  (WHAT DID I JUST SAY???  I think my Italian grandparents are rolling over in their graves right now...sorry!!)  Don't get me wrong, I love, love, LOVE Italian sausage (sweet, spicy, mild, whatever) it's just that chorizo has found a very special place in my heart.... er, stomach I should say.  And, let me be the first to say, although it goes so well with so many things, it really pairs nicely with pasta!

The original recipe that sparked the idea for this was from Guy Fieri.  I saw his recipe for Chipotle Pasta and knew I was going to have to figure out a way to put some sort of spin on it to make it my own.  I think this is a great way to enjoy Guy's pasta without all the guilt.

Chorizo Chipotle Pasta
Created by Jenn's Food Journey, Inspired by Guy Fieri
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
12 oz whole grain penne pasta
3 Tablespoons sour cream
1 Tablespoons chipotle puree
3/4 pound ground Mexican chorizo (or use links and remove casing)
1 large yellow bell pepper, chopped
12 large frozen shrimp (thawed and tails removed)

Directions:
Cook pasta according to package directions.  Drain.

In a small bowl, mix together the sour cream and chipotle; set aside.

In a skillet, over medium heat, add the chorizo, breaking it up with a wooden spoon.  Cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add the bell pepper and cook another 2 minutes.  Add the shrimp and cook until warmed through, about 3 minutes.  Add the sour cream mixture and stir to combine.  Toss in the cooked pasta.  Taste for seasoning.  Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Beer Brined Pork Chops with Cheddar

10 comments:

Spoon and Chopsticks said...

That sounds lovely.

http://spoon-and-chopsticks.blogspot.com/

debbie said...

I think it sounds great. A nice twist on a pasta dish!

Big Dude said...

The dish looks outstanding and I'm also a big chorizo fan - I've got to get off my duff and try making some.

Nicole said...

mmm chorizo is my favorite.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Never had chorizo. Go ahead and throw stuff at me now :) Even though I'm ignorant to chorizo's flavors this looks really good, spicy and a nice twist on pasta and sausage.

Anna's kitchen table said...

Ooh I could really go for that Jenn!

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a gorgeous looking pasta. I really have to give this a try. Have a great day, Jenn. Blessings...Mary

Pam said...

My husband really digs chorizo - I may have to make him this dish.

Unknown said...

I love chorizo and I love Italian sausages too. But don't make me choose. It's like my own Sophie's Choice. I'm dramatic like that. Hehe.
The pasta looks utterly delicious Jenn.
I tagged you in 7 links game, so if you have the time, feel free to play along. Details on my latest post.

Chris said...

Chorizo is my favorite sausage, the flavor is just power packed. It's like Italian sausage's older, hotter sister (or brother in your case).