Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Southwest Baked Tilapia

Before I actually get too far into this post, I want to introduce you to the name Chris...that's my boyfriend.  I figured you all should meet since you will hear me speak of him from time to time!

Ok...so on to some food!

Chris and I are BIG fish eaters. Actually, we are big Tilapia eaters. We buy it frozen and it's very inexpensive. Plus, fish is healthier for us then the pasta I would cook every night if I could :) Tilapia is a fish that will pretty much take on any flavor, so if you're not a huge fan of fish due to the taste, Tilapia is a good one to start with. It has a very mild flavor.

Last night I tried my hand at a Southwest Baked Tilapia. It turned out really good. It's very simple to throw together. I love meals like this on the week nights. Though I love love love to cook, some days I come home from work and I don't want to spend a ton of time in the kitchen. Recipes like this one are perfect for those nights. I threw it together in 5 minutes and then put it in the oven for 15 minutes. That's it! (If you didn't have Tilapia or don't like Tilapia, you could easily use another white fish such as cod or sole.)



Southwest Baked Tilapia

Ingredients:

4 Tilapia fillets
4 tablespoons non fat sour cream
1 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoons ground cumin
1 tablespoons paprika
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
1/2 tablespoon dried parsley

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a small bowl, mix all the spices together.

Place Tilapia in a baking dish that has been prepared with non stick spray. Sprinkle the fillets with half the seasoning mixture. Spread sour cream over the top of each fillet. Sprinkle remaining seasoning mix over fish.

Bake for 15 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.


You can adjust the heat of this recipe by cutting back (or adding) the cayenne and/or red pepper flakes.  Hope you enjoy this as much as we did!
Ciao!

No comments: